News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

3 sites, one updated fine, two sites @ 2.0.14 update error

Started by Nodaz, December 14, 2020, 11:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nodaz

I have three forums that aren't overly active, admittedly all were at 2.0.14 and today i decided to update them.
One updated to 2.015, then 2.016, and 2.017 with no issue>

two of them give me the same two failures in the  test:

In looking at installed packages all of them have the same packages installed, except the two failing have this in common:     
Ad Management     
Could this be the culprit?     
Any insight or other information that can help solve this?     

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If the ad management mod uninstalls cleanly (doesn't give errors for uninstall) then you can always try if uninstalling it helps - and then maybe after hopefully successfully updating, see if the mod has an updated version available as well before trying to reinstall it.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Or you can click on the edit button and make the change manually.  Safer to do what Lex suggested if you're not comfortable messing with code.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Nodaz

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 14, 2020, 11:55:59 AM
If the ad management mod uninstalls cleanly (doesn't give errors for uninstall) then you can always try if uninstalling it helps - and then maybe after hopefully successfully updating, see if the mod has an updated version available as well before trying to reinstall it.

I was hoping it would be that easy, but, i  do get an error:
*    7.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/index.template.php    Test failed
      1.    Replace    ./Themes/default/index.template.php    Test failed

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 14, 2020, 12:06:35 PM
Or you can click on the edit button and make the change manually.  Safer to do what Lex suggested if you're not comfortable messing with code.

So do i run the install and THEN edit?:
replace the top code with the bottom code ?

Nodaz

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 14, 2020, 12:06:35 PM

as well, i need to ftp in an edit this correct?  I dont see a way to edit form the forum/error page, am i missing something?

Kindred

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

edit the file via FTP or your (server) Cpanel file editor (not the template editor in the smf admin section)

With only one edit, you can either edit before or after...

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nodaz

ok, i will give it a go a bit later and post back.
Thank you

Nodaz

For my own clarification and others who have suggested manually editing the code...the screenshot i posted is the error i get when trying to run the update.
i get an error when trying to uninstall Ad Management and i wanted to be clear that i am on the same page:
I should edit the code as indicated in the UPDATE error log, not the uninstall error for Ad Management, correct?
Basically leave the Ad Management error alone, update the forum and do the appropriate edits, correct?

Nodaz

So in doing a little looking, the line of code that i am supposed to find, does not exist exactly as it is shown, ive tried using the file editor on cpanel,(including the legacy editor) ive ftp the file and finding with NotePad+    im guessing that over the years of installing and uninstalling mods  things have gotten a bit tweaked.   
Im wondering this:  Perhaps its time to do a fresh install (retaining the data for the forums) of sorts and reinstall the mods after the fact.     
What is that process?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That the code is not there, is one of the possible reasons for an install to fail. It might have been altered by a mod, or for some other reason in the past.
There is a pretty quick and easy way to do a "clean up" though, and that's to use the large upgrade package.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Nodaz

Ok !  Large upgrade process went like clockwork, was then able to update to .15, .16, then .17, i put it into maintenance mode while i re install Spam and Ad Managment Mods.
BUT, i notice under
Package manager/Browse Packages  there were a lot of old packages that i had downloaded, only a few said "uninstall", i deleted all the ones that weren't "Installed"
1.    httpBL    2.5.1                    [ Uninstall ]   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    Stop Spammer    2.3.9    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Ad Managment    3.2            [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    SMF 2.0.16 Update    1.0            [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    Misc Anti Spam    1.0            [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

and then checked Package manager/Installed packages and it shows 13 different installed packages with the option of "uninstall" , but also at the lower left i see "delete mod list"
1.    SMF 2.0.17 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
2.    SMF 2.0.16 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
3.    SMF 2.0.15 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
4.    SMF 2.0.14 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
5.    SMF 2.0.13 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
6.    Stop Spammer    2.3.9    [ Uninstall ]
7.    httpBL    2.5.1    [ Uninstall ]
8.    Misc Anti Spam    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
9.    SMF 2.0.12 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
10.    SMF 2.0.11 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
11.    SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
12.    Ad Managment    3.2    [ Uninstall ]
13.    SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]

[ Delete Mod List ]

Im unsure how i should move forward from this point.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you uploaded a clean set of files, all mods are uninstalled so you can delete them from package manager mod list, except for mods you've reinstalled into the clean files.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Nodaz

Advertisement: