News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

E107 covert SMF . I only have the DB from E107 site

Started by AndypVW, December 28, 2020, 10:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndypVW

Not much success searching ...

I have an E107 database (no access to the actual site) that I have co loaded on the SMF server.
Is there a quick edit to covert.php that would get me underway , or at least get the bulk of the conversion done?

Many Thanks

Andy

shadav

*not to sound silly but have you tried the converter? https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?converters;id=32

and if so, how is it not working, any errors?

I don't think you need actual access to the old files, as long as you have the db

AndypVW

This is basis of my question , since the converter ( essentially two files , a convert.php and a .sql file) asks for the E107site path (e.g. localhost:/E107). I assume it then deduces the DB connection (since I can't get past the E107 site path question I can't be certain that is the case).
Again my assumption is that the bulk of the work is done by the .sql file invoked from convert.php.

That will be my next step , to review the .sql file and determine if that will do the bulk of my conversion and use the SQL within.

Just hoping that someone had been down this road before.

Thanks

GL700Wing

Quote from: AndypVW on December 29, 2020, 03:44:41 AM
This is basis of my question , since the converter ( essentially two files , a convert.php and a .sql file) asks for the E107site path (e.g. localhost:/E107). I assume it then deduces the DB connection (since I can't get past the E107 site path question I can't be certain that is the case).
I've just done a forum conversion as follows (it wasn't E107 but the process is essentially the same):

• Create a new SMF 2.0.17 database and forum.
  • Create a new MySQL database for the E107 data using cPanel (assign the same MySQL user account - with all privileges - used for the new SMF 2.0.17 forum).
  • Import a backup of the E107 data to the new MySQL database.
  • Create the required config.php file and configure the required variables (for E107 the details details on lines 7-9 in the e107_to_smf.sql file). 
    If you don't have any files (eg, attachments, avatars, etc) from the E107 forum you can probably create the config.php file in the same directory/folder as the SMF 2.0.17 forum.
  • Run the convert.php script from the SMF 2.0.17 forum folder/directory.

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

AndypVW

Thought I'd complete what worked for me , in case others walk this path.

The main challenge initially was that all I had was the database from the an old version of the E107 forum.
Thanks to GL700wing for getting me off the mark, I've added to that sequence:-

Create a new SMF 2.0.17 database and forum.
Import a backup of the E107 data to the new MySQL database (same server)
Install E107 to see an example of config.php so created ( and invoked via the SMF convert.php 'path_from' )
Edit config.php file and configure the required variables (for E107 the details details on lines 7-9 in the e107_to_smf.sql file). 
Turn off strict mode on the mySQL server
Run the convert.php script from the SMF 2.0.17 forum folder/directory.  turn on the debug option (?debug=1)
Covert.php invokes e107_to_smf.sql to fetch the data.
My database was missing a number of tables/columns that e107_to_smf.sql was looking for , presumably features added in a later release of E107. Editing e107_to_smf.sql as each error as thrown was the quickest way to proceed.

Job Done

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sounds good, marking this solved then. :)
And thanks for sharing your solution!
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: