• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.

Future of Forums

Started by samdersb, December 29, 2020, 08:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camefromwpandmybb

live627

People complain about facebook privacy, tracking, censoring, and they keep using facebook.  People complain about facebook intrusive "covid 19 information" and they keep using facebook.   People complain about all sorts of stuff they say facebook did related to the November 2020 election, say facebook is evil, censoring, etc, and I see those same people continue to use facebook.   An analogy is people say "I will never shop at that store again" but they never stop shopping there.
This  sounds to me a lot like virtue signalling, you know. Social justice is very popular nowadazys, for whatever it's  worth.

QuoteI installed the firefox plugin "privacy badger" and it is astonishing how invasive facebook is on the internet.  https://privacybadger.org/
Kinda puts their big fight with Apple over privacy into perspective. Collecting user data across the entire internet should be beyond the scope of any company.

landyvlad

Quote from: AlanDewey on June 10, 2021, 07:52:42 AM
People complain about facebook privacy, tracking, censoring, and they keep using facebook.  People complain about facebook intrusive "covid 19 information" and they keep using facebook.   People complain about all sorts of stuff they say facebook did related to the November 2020 election, say facebook is evil, censoring, etc, and I see those same people continue to use facebook.   

Indeed, very frustrating. Most people are sheeple.

Quote from: AlanDewey on June 10, 2021, 07:52:42 AM
An analogy is people say "I will never shop at that store again" but they never stop shopping there.

and the ones who say they will no longer shop there, but never did previosuly.
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

To paraphrase Kindred: "There are no technical solutions to social problems."

Legosi

While social media has taken a lot over the years I feel like forums just offer a better community aspect. You have full control over your own site and I'm currently building myself a new forum. Like yourself, I've been playing SMF for well over a decade now. If you believe in your idea for your own forum then I say go for it, I'm creating one last forum for my little streaming community so why not go for it. Best of luck. Also forums don't sell your data!

Chewing on Cyanide

shadav

Quote from: Legosi on July 26, 2021, 09:50:13 AMAlso forums don't sell your data!
well....that really depends on who is running the forum
i've known plenty of shady folks over the decades that did sell your info from their forums

Legosi

Quote from: shadav on July 26, 2021, 09:56:40 AM
Quote from: Legosi on July 26, 2021, 09:50:13 AMAlso forums don't sell your data!
i've known plenty of shady folks over the decades that did sell your info from their forums

Sadly always gonna be a few apples who spoil the bunch. Though most forums I've been on have always been friendly. Guess I managed to avoid the bad ones but I do understand your point!

Chewing on Cyanide

shadav

Quote from: Legosi on August 15, 2021, 05:05:12 AM
Quote from: shadav on July 26, 2021, 09:56:40 AM

Sadly always gonna be a few apples who spoil the bunch. Though most forums I've been on have always been friendly. Guess I managed to avoid the bad ones but I do understand your point!
lol well....ya know....when you've been online longer than yahoo has been around....ya see some things  :P :laugh:

Rust

Quote from: samdersb on December 29, 2020, 08:50:11 PMIs it even worth considering starting one now?

It isn't easy making blanket statements without knowing the niche, purpose, and target audience of the forum idea. 

In general, however, there is no way I would start a new forum circa Q3 2021.  While I've always been a big fan of forums, there is no denying the steady, inexorable decline of the genre over the last decade or so.  True enough, forums can and do live along side social media and the abundant information sources we have now, but the reality is the heyday of the standalone forum is long past us, and unlikely to ever come back.  (I'm on staff of a very active forum with 50K+ members.  Even that venue has declined in quality and quantity of content.)

Anyway, best of wishes with your plans and projects.  Cheers. :)

Advertisement: