News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrade fron 1.1.21 to latest version

Started by DaveM59, December 30, 2020, 07:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveM59

I am a complete beginner here, no previous programming experience so I need simple help please.
I admin a forum I was handed down when the previous admin went awol, it is V1.1.21 and is working very well but a few things like the recaptcha has failed as the version has been expired and I cannot find where the scripts have been patched to remove it and install a later version, so I'd like to start afresh with the latest smf version.
I have uploaded all the large upgrade files, run the upgrade.php and it either fails with errors about the php version isn't high enough or the SQL is not compatible.
Our host WebHostingUK gives these specs...

Database server
    Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
    Server type: MariaDB
    Server connection: SSL is not being used Documentation
    Server version: 10.0.38-MariaDB - MariaDB Server
    Protocol version: 10
    User: XXXXXXXX@localhost
    Server charset: cp1252 West European (latin1)

Web server
    cpsrvd 11.90.0.17
    Database client version: libmysql - 5.6.43
    PHP extension: mysqliDocumentation curlDocumentation mbstringDocumentation
    PHP version: 7.3.6

phpMyAdmin
    Version information: 4.9.5

What an I not doing?

I have also installed all the files into a separate directory, edited as many instances of the addresses to the new folder in an attaempt to at least get a forum page to display but all I get when I browse to the index.php is an error "Unknown column 'a.attachment_type' in 'field list' " which I am guessing is something in the database, so do I need to upgrade the database in some way and if so how, and also can I do it in parallel with the existing one so I can play in the new forum before releasing it to the users. I have put the current one into maintenance mode.
Sorry for the long ramble!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If you are trying to get from 1.1 to 2.0, yes you do need to update the database - that is what the upgrade.php script is for. And no, you can't run 1.1 and 2.0 from the same database side by side.
If your 1.1 install is working perfectly, the server is NOT running PHP 7.3 - that is for sure. So perhaps ask your host to confirm what the specs used atually are, and not what they should be?

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

yes you can run the 2 at the same time but they would be in different locations and different databases, this is common to make an entire copy (files and dbs) of a site then upload it elsewhere for testing and updating purposes....that way your live site is still live

it's always a good idea to take a full backup of the site before starting anything as well

and as aleksi stated, if you are running 1.x of smf there's no way that your php is 7.3, 1.x is so outdated it was never designed to work with 7+ php

I don't think that you can just straight upgrade from 1.1.21 to 2.0.17, I could be wrong but pretty sure that you have to go one by one

1.1.21 to 2.0
2.0 to 2.0.1
2.0.1 to 2.0.2
ect ect ect

https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The large upgrade package should actually be able to handle a straight 1.1.x to 2.0.17.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

shawnb61

FYI, both the 2.0 & 2.1 upgraders will upgrade straight from 2.0, 1.1, 1.0 & even YaBBSE 1.5.5.

When they have problems, the issues tend to be due to database-level customizations, or failed/partial utf8 conversions. 

Both upgraders can be run via CLI, as well. In fact, going forward, I'd probably recommend CLI over browser upgrades for large or very old forums.  CLI is much better at reporting errors.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

DaveM59

utf8 conversion? The admin section asks if I want to convert so does this mean the database is still in an older format? Should I run the conversion first?

GigaWatt

First, make a backup of the old database, then yes, convert it to UTF-8 ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 30, 2020, 08:42:14 AM
If your 1.1 install is working perfectly, the server is NOT running PHP 7.3 - that is for sure. So perhaps ask your host to confirm what the specs used atually are, and not what they should be?

I've seen this once or twice, where host was reporting incorrect php version.  Run phpinfo (attached), that will give you accurate versions.

Wouldn't make any changes to database until upgrade is successful.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: