News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Question on displaying an old post

Started by skb, January 09, 2021, 11:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

My question is somewhat unusual and I think that it cannot be done, yet I thought of asking the expert opinion of this forum.

Is there a way to display an old post, not as a link and not as a screenshot image but as the post itself? 

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

specifically:

// Fetch a post with a particular ID. By default will only show if you have permission to the see the board in question - this can be overriden.
function ssi_fetchPosts($post_ids = array(), $override_permissions = false, $output_method = 'echo')
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

skb

Thanks Kindred. Let me explain in more detail.

One of our founder member expired in December. We want to start a memorial thread for her, where we don't want the posts to contain the links to her memorable posts, but display the posts themselves. With the ssi function that you have given, I suppose we could display her posts in one of Tiny Portal's blocks, if not in a thread.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: skb on January 11, 2021, 10:18:48 PM

One of our founder member expired in December. We want to start a memorial thread for her, where we don't want the posts to contain the links to her memorable posts, but display the posts themselves. With the ssi function that you have given, I suppose we could display her posts in one of Tiny Portal's blocks, if not in a thread.

Quote from: skb

Doing it this way would basically mean manually copying the posts, and removing the linking part of the code though.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

I mean you could always just quote the posts, though yes it'd be one by one
[quote=users name goes here]copy of what the post said goes here[/quote]
so this would show that they posted it but not link to that post
so it'd be like this
Quote from: shadavsee I made myself quote myself

[edit] hahaha sorry just saw that's what lex was saying...oh well I showed how to do it so  :P  :laugh:

skb

That's not what we had in mind, but thanks anyway.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

skb

Ultimately we had to rely on the 'Quote' method. Marking this solved.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Kindred

Hmmmm..... I mean, since ssi_fetchPosts gets a specific post, it should be fairly straight forward to extend it to get the post and all replies...

ssi_fetchTopic

(base it on fetchPosts -- but use the queries in Display.php and output code in Display.template.php to fetch the initial post and the replies and display it as a topic)

I don't have time to code it right now --- but it shouldn't take more than an hour or so for someone competent with code to hack it in place.   Maybe request it as  mod?
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: