Problem with background image refresh

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, January 10, 2021, 09:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Background image on this forum refreshes every page load, so every page opens with white bg.  Wasn't happening previously.  Forum owner changed bg image, that apparently triggered the problem.  Previous image has been restored, css is unchanged -

body {
background: url(https://www.ebook-mecca.com/Themes/mobile-desktop/images/sunset.jpg) repeat-y fixed 100%;
font:78%/130% Comic Sans MS;
}

Caching is disabled, no change if set to level 1 or 2.  I have caching disabled on my forums and bg image loads once on initial load, no white bg on additional page loads.  Any idea what's causing this?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 10, 2021, 09:54:03 PM
I have caching disabled on my forums...

IMO, good choice ;). I almost always advise to disable caching as well ;). Depends on the forum, but in most cases, for small to medium sized forums, yes ;).

That's the previous image that's loading now or the new one, the one that the forum owner changed?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

She's back to original image, does it with both.  Never seen this before, and she's on my host, so it's not likely server caching issue.  I have an older index.css backup, soon as I get a minute will upload it, see if it's a css problem.

Nope, it's not index.css. >:(

Seeing attached in image info, no idea how it got there.

- R. Waters

Kindred

that looks to be a chrome skin -- not anything on the website itself
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Kindred on January 11, 2021, 12:23:55 PM
Except it's shown in a FF media window.... :o
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2021, 12:30:19 PM
Quote from: Kindred on January 11, 2021, 12:23:55 PM
Except it's shown in a FF media window.... :o

"Chrome" in this case refers to the non-website portions of the interface I believe....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, what ever it is - My FF isn't showing that. I'm still a bit confused though, as FF isn't based on chromium. I'm not sure how that would be seen within Firefox.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

it's not chromium....   for maximum confusion -- seriously, the "glittery bits" of the browser program are called "the chrome"
Слaва
Украинi

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay... Yes - That is confusing, since the chrome:// path is also used in actual Chrome. Thanks for bearing with me as I tried to let that sink in my head.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

chrome://global/skin/media/imagedoc-darknoise.png is black screen, the white screen on page load is apparently caused by reloading the png every time from external link.  Forum owner has no idea how it got there or why it's being called.  It's not in index.css or index.template.php.  I see it in FF, and the white bg in IE.  Doesn't show up in inspect element on either. 

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2021, 04:31:54 PM
Okay... Yes - That is confusing, since the chrome:// path is also used in actual Chrome. Thanks for bearing with me as I tried to let that sink in my head.

Which is why Google named the browser Chrome ::)... for maximum confusion ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Turns out the problem was being caused by code in .htaccess that was forcing refresh every page load.  I've used it on multiple forums for years to override caching when working with code and images.  Some browsers would hold on to images for days, and refuse to update css changes.  The code has always worked without issues anywhere I've used it, and had been working on this forum until she recently changed bg image (which she'd done many times before).  No idea why it acted up.

# NEVER CACHE
<FilesMatch "\.(txt|htm|html|php|css)$">
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, private, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate"
</FilesMatch>

- R. Waters

Advertisement: