News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Subscriptions Questions

Started by MrMorph, January 11, 2021, 12:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMorph

Got some questions if anyone would kindly help.

I have three subscriptions in mind.

1) Is there a way to cancel one subscription when the user orders another one?

2) It seems to me that the only option to cancel a subscription themselves is to do it via PayPal - is that the only way built in?

3) I found that I can move a member to another member group for each subscription - what happens if they have two different subscriptions?

4) There does not seem to be any functions or data in $context about a member's current subscriptions standing - is that right? I need to do the checking of subs from scratch in PHP?

Thanks!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

1) No, if you order a subscription you already have it just continues the existing one and if you order another subscription, then both are active. That is basically because there's no refund process built in.

2) The subscriptions can be either one time, or recurring. One time subscriptions end when they are set to end, recurring subscriptions can be canceled.
I'm not completely sure, but I'd imagine you could end a recurring subscription through your profile ( Profile -> Actions -> Paid Subscriptions ) or cancel it through Paypal.

3) That is why the groups can be set primary or secondary, when you have multiple subscriptions that change groups, you should probably avoid using primary groups. That being said, I'm not actually sure if there is a conflict what would happen.

4) I would have to look in to this, I don't have an answer of the top of my head. Sorry.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

recurring subscription must be cancelled on paypal end to stop the money, otherwise it will keep being paid, i believe the person paying has to do that.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: MrMorph on January 11, 2021, 12:25:16 AM
1) Is there a way to cancel one subscription when the user orders another one?

You would have to do that manually in ACP.

2) It seems to me that the only option to cancel a subscription themselves is to do it via PayPal - is that the only way built in?

Yes, recurring payment creates a PayPal subscription in member's PayPal account, it can only be cancelled by account owner.

3) I found that I can move a member to another member group for each subscription - what happens if they have two different subscriptions?

As per Lex, use additional groups in subscription settings.

4) There does not seem to be any functions or data in $context about a member's current subscriptions standing - is that right? I need to do the checking of subs from scratch in PHP?

You can view members' current subscriptions in Profile, and all subscriptions in Admin -> View Subscriptions.  Clicking on subscription displays all active and inactive subs with start and end dates.  You should be able to locate the data array in one of those areas if you need it for custom coding.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MrMorph

Thanks a lot folks, I have a better understanding now.  8)

Advertisement: