News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

HostGator is upgrading servers to PHP 7.4

Started by DeepBlueGXP, January 11, 2021, 01:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepBlueGXP

I'm using SMF 2.0.15 right now.  My database on HostGator is currently on PHP 5.4 but is soon forcing the PHP 7.4. 

I tried upgrading to 2.0.17 but received errors displaying user info on posts so I reverted back to 2.015.  I'm concerned about the forced update and not being about to upgrade to RC3 without errors. 

The SMF 2.1 RC3 says it will support 7.4. 

QuoteIn an ongoing effort to bring you the very best products and services, we will be upgrading all of our servers to PHP 7.4. In addition to improved data processing, which can boost your site's speed and performance, you'll also gain increased security. Newer versions of PHP have more frequent security updates to help protect your site against unwanted hacks or malware.

When will it happen?

At some point during the upgrade window -- February 09, 2021 through February 14, 2021 -- your account will be updated, and older versions of PHP will no longer be supported. You may experience a brief disruption in service during this time
Do I need to do anything on my end?
Yes, if you have any custom code or plugins, we recommend that you upgrade all of your web installations to the newest PHP software available before we upgrade your account. Newer versions of PHP are already available on your current server, and you can set your site to use those versions with this helpful guide. You should also backup all of your website files.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

shadav

*cough* sorry I couldn't help myself but please if you are able to move away from hostgator (years and years and years of hearing people complain about them)

anyways....

as vbgamer asked what are the errors, we might be able to help you fix them to upgrade to 2.0.17

while 2.1 rc3 does support php7.4 it is still an rc so not really advisable to run on a live site, you may encounter bugs and as well will need to keep it updated until it is in it's final release stage....
and as well that at the moment there are limited themes and mods for it as it's still a release candidate and not finalized....

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Basically, EIG hosts are among the worst of the worst - So just avoid anyone on this list https://researchasahobby.com/full-list-eig-hosting-companies-brands/
Outside that list, I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy either.

Edit: Changed to a more complete list.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

DeepBlueGXP

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2021, 04:25:06 PM
Basically, EIG hosts are among the worst of the worst - So just avoid anyone on this list https://researchasahobby.com/full-list-eig-hosting-companies-brands/
Outside that list, I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy either.

Edit: Changed to a more complete list.
I originally started with GoDaddy, then went to HG.  Thanks. 

efk

Quote from: DeepBlueGXP on January 11, 2021, 08:26:01 PM
Going with A2Hosting.  I'll attempt to update the forum after I transfer hosting and domain.
GrayWebHost is very good option to be taken into consideration https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=490462.0

KittyGalore

Quote from: efk on January 11, 2021, 08:49:15 PM
Quote from: DeepBlueGXP on January 11, 2021, 08:26:01 PM
Going with A2Hosting.  I'll attempt to update the forum after I transfer hosting and domain.
GrayWebHost is very good option to be taken into consideration https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=490462.0
Would use this except it uses paypal which i don't have.
SMF Curve 2.0x

peranders

Why can't you get Paypal? What is the problem? I have had it for years without any problems.
/Per-Anders
I'm using SMF version 2.0.2

peranders

I use 2.0.17 + PHP 7.4 and it works although I get a lot of errors in the error log but I don't get any visible errors.
/Per-Anders
I'm using SMF version 2.0.2

saosangmo

I have upgraded to PHP 7.4 some days ago and everything works very well. I use Nginx server and PHP-FPM

Advertisement: