How to remove permissions to read/write to one board for a single user

Started by daspyknows, January 12, 2021, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daspyknows

Hi everyone.  I am newly moderating a site running SMF and trying to figure out how to remove one user from a single board.  Since I do not have a test environment to figure this out and do not want to break anything I am reaching out here  The user is in a count based group and do not see how to remove them from that group and into another without the board access.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thx.

Sir Osis of Liver

Create a new group that has permission to view all boards except the one, and move the member into that group.

On second thought, don't think I answered your question.  If you're a moderator, not admin, you would need permission to change a member's group.  Global moderators do not have that permission by default, it must be assigned by admin.  Board moderators cannot have that permission.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

daspyknows

Thx.  I have done that.  Trying to move them from the Post Based Group to the new group. 

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Here's an odd thing that could be useful in some dicey situations.  You can create two membergroups with the same name but different permissions, so problem member would not know they were in a different group.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 12, 2021, 05:16:04 PM
If you're a moderator, not admin, you would need permission to change a member's group.  Global moderators do not have that permission by default, it must be assigned by admin.  Board moderators cannot have that permission.

- R. Waters

daspyknows

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 12, 2021, 05:59:32 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 12, 2021, 05:16:04 PM
If you're a moderator, not admin, you would need permission to change a member's group.  Global moderators do not have that permission by default, it must be assigned by admin.  Board moderators cannot have that permission.

OK.  Thx.  Will explore that.

Kindred

you can not move the user out of a post-count based group.
All users are automatically in one post-count-based group based on their post count -- it is not manually controllable.

and if the POST-COUNT group has access to the board, then putting the user in another group won't do any good, since SMF is INCLUSIVE permissions (the user has the greatest permission granted by any group they belong to)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Hmm, on my forums I've removed all post count groups except Newbie, which is set for 0 posts.  That group is not listed in permissions, I believe it inherits permissions from regular members.  All of my members are in primary membergroups, board access is determined in the group settings.  Basically I've always ignored post count groups, access is controlled by the regular groups.  The remaining post count group has permissions set to 'Use Unique Permissions", but there are no unique permissions, so I would think that group has no permissions.

- R. Waters

Kindred

post count groups have their own permissions.

you might have set the newbies group to disallow all -- in which case, only groups with ALLOW permissions set would grant them access to actions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Sir Osis of Liver

Strictly speakimg, viewable boards is not a permission, it's a board/membergroup setting.  That's what I was suggesting.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: