'Like' for posts such as Facebook

Started by temuco, January 18, 2021, 12:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

temuco

What options are there to implement a "Like" functionality for individual posts? I don't mean the karma functionality that evaluates individual users, but I want individual posts to be able to be evaluated, as is the case with Facebook.

Many thanks and best regards!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

At least this one Like Posts
And of course 2.1 has likes.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

temuco

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 18, 2021, 12:05:38 PM
At least this one Like Posts
And of course 2.1 has likes.

Thank you! When will version 2.1 be officially released? "Like Posts" looks good, but I would rather use an integrated version.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

We don't really make promises on release dates, it will be out when it's ready.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

a10

Like Posts works great, 2.0.17 \ php 7.3, much used on my forum (& only allowing likes, not dislikes :O)
Using it for years, no problems. Only concern, can the data be imported into 2.1 when that day may arrive.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

shawnb61

Quote from: a10 on January 18, 2021, 12:49:05 PM
Using it for years, no problems. Only concern, can the data be imported into 2.1 when that day may arrive.

The data can be migrated to 2.1 pretty easily.  The SQL is shared here.  The easiest thing to do is to just run it from the SQL tab in phpmyadmin after the upgrade:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=506743.msg4010825;topicseen#msg4010825

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

a10

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

shadav

depending on if you just mean to Like...or if you mean like facebook has reacts (like, love, laugh, sad, mad, wow)
then you can use this one: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=4264

Sir Osis of Liver

:P Installed Like Posts mod for one of my guys, went over like the classic lead balloon.  Modded it a bit, still no takers.  Mostly older members, not a FB crowd.  Ended up uninstalling it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

I think a lot of it depends on the purpose of the forum.

On my guitar fx board, lots of user reviews and user patches are shared.  It helps you see what's going over well at a glance.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

temuco

Many thanks for all the replies! If there is a takeover in 2.1, then I might think about installing "Like Posts".

Many greetings

Advertisement: