News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forum software vs Database

Started by showngo, January 21, 2021, 04:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

showngo

Does the database just hold members, post, boards, ect. or does it hold info from the mechanics of the form.

I'm planing a clean install to help with multiple operational errors but if that info is embedded in the Database I'm stuck where I am.

Sir Osis of Liver

Database contains paths and settings.  What kind of "multiple operational errors" are you experiencing?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

showngo

Referring URL on login, marking forum read, attempting to post, trying to access PMs, hitting the notify tab.   Probably more that members are not saying.

There was a clean install while the hosting was an IP only.

Then the nameservers updated after and now has the domain name.
From an email I received, the hosting company updated the settings.php file to show the domain in the address bar and updated the SSL certificate.

THEN all the issues started.

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

showngo

Sir Osis of Liver

Registration is broken as well.  Is that a clean install?  Does it work in Curve?  Did you have pretty urls installed previously?

- R. Waters

showngo

I also did create a new cookie after this .

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 21, 2021, 04:19:52 PM
Registration is broken as well.  Is that a clean install?  Does it work in Curve?  Did you have pretty urls installed previously?

- R. Waters

showngo

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 21, 2021, 04:19:52 PM

Was a clean install on the new server, no pretty urls but did update simple portal.    I could not on the old forum but this one ,it installed no issues..

The forum worked 100% when installed during the IP address only. 
Now that it is wraponsguild.com this all started.

showngo

I'll have to try in curve, I have not tried that.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not a theme problem.  Can you pm ftp access?

- R. Waters

Kindred

if the forum was installed using IP and you are now using URL, then you need to reset all URL settings.

Use repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Hostgator support did "things" to the database to try to correct the paths.  This is not encouraging. :P  Waiting for access, if I can get to db maybe it can be fixed.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

showngo

Quote from: Kindred on January 21, 2021, 05:48:13 PM
if the forum was installed using IP and you are now using URL, then you need to reset all URL settings.

Use repair_settings.php

I can get you on to look at this.  SOOL also has accessim really thinking hostgator screwed something up with the database.

Sir Osis of Liver

Someone undid the change I made earlier today.  Admin -> Server Settings -> Database and Paths -> Forum URL

It was set to IP url, that was causing the problem.  I changed it to domain url, that fixed it.  Someone changed it back to IP (didn't change itself).

- R. Waters

showngo

There are still issues but not as many as before.   The main part is people getting on.   But posting is a problem.   they get database error for posting photos (its not the security size one)
and if someone does a copy-paste they get a Subs-Post.php error and looking at the line is shows there is only "array('id_msg')"        That is the same line from sub-post that was on the working site.

showngo

I cleared out my CPU and logging in got the refereing URL error again.
it was the domain and not the IP in the address bar.

One difference I see is that the https vs the old site was http.

The host put https security on and I already have a SSL certificate for the domain/forum. 

Is there a possibility that those are clashing?   I have ZERO experience with that other than people freaking out when they do not see the little lock symbol even though we have no valuable personal info.

Dzonny

Can you post the exact errors you're getting though?

"Personal info" is email address, username and password, which is used for each login, so yeah..

showngo

Quote from: Dzonny on January 23, 2021, 06:30:45 AM
Can you post the exact errors you're getting though?

"Personal info" is email address, username and password, which is used for each login, so yeah..

This is the copy paste one
Incorrect string value: '\x92s Apr...' for column 'body' at row 1
File: /home/weaponsg/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1834

The attachment one is just Database error, try again, if you come back to this screen contact an administrator.

The login is unable to verify the referring URL.        I could log in 7 times (Random number) and be fine, then the next time get that .

Im also looking into that there is no redirect for http to https, not sure if that could affect it.

Advertisement: