News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Guest permissions

Started by madfitz, January 25, 2021, 12:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madfitz

In 2.0.17 is there a way to allow guests to see the list of topics in a board but not let them read the topic?

There was a trick for this but it's 9 years old and doesn't seem to apply to the files in the current version.

Edit: I'm aware of the Hide Topics from Guests mod, but I'd prefer a message be displayed than a redirect.

Kindred

In short - on purpose and by default no.

SMF never lets any user see an action which they can not complete. Teasing a post header and then saying "but to read this, you have to register" is a sure way to LOSE users, as many are like me and will just go somewhere else.

Requiring registration to POST makes sense -- requiring registration to READ is bad UX.

That being said, there are 2 or 3 mods that let you do this, even though (and yes, I am repeating myself) it's a bad idea.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

madfitz

Yes, I appreciate what you're saying but we're building a local information board. Local schools, health services, home services, shopping, dining etc. We want to encourage people to add information and not just read it and run. We're hoping that, if they register, they're more likely to leave something behind.

Kindred

except I would argue that your premise is flawed.

(this opinion is from a psychology major with 30 years of dealing with online activity)

People are willing to register to contribute opinions. Forcing them to register to READ will lose you more traffic than it gets you registrations.

However, as I said -- if you choose to ignore this advice, there are a few mods that let you do it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

efk

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4169

I agree completely with not going with forced registration/limited view. If your decision is final, this mod should do it for you.
Personally, I hate every site with such limitations, and most of internet users will be discouraged to not proceed with registration, and definitely chance to register and post will be reduced drastically.

madfitz

Appreciate your comments guys. We're going to look at alternatives but have to say we're not looking for worldwide membership, we're just aiming at a community of a couple hundred local residents.

Advertisement: