News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Post Group vs Membergroup Permissions

Started by enaberif, January 24, 2021, 10:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enaberif

I was recently asked to help out with a community forum and in doing so I spent a lot of time in getting spam reduced to a point where its not really a problem. With that said one of the things I want to do is make the forum a bit more secure and making it so that after you have been activated properly you are limited to what you can see on the board.

Now this is where issues have started and I already found a few issues in how they setup post groups and member groups and looking for some guidance on what to do next.

So I restructured all the post groups so that they fall in a order of 0, 5, 200 etc and this is working well.

When I go into the post count group and say which boards can be visible this does not work and it appears to be associated with the "Regular Members" group. If I disable the "Regular Members" group on the board then the post group works properly in not being able to see the boards.

Since "Regular Members" contains all members that have no primary group set.. does this mean that I could technically pull that permission off all the boards and as long as people are in the post groups and or assigned a member group things will be ok?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Regular members and Post count groups can be used together, or separately.
If you give access to a board through regular members, you don't necessarily need to give the same access through post count groups at all.
If you don't give access to regular members, you can limit access to boards by post count - For example, have a board where everyone gets automatic access after they have made 100 posts.
The way to go depends on what you wish to achieve in the end.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: