Random email problem

Started by madfitz, January 24, 2021, 11:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madfitz

I've just done a clean install of 2.0.17 and I'm configuring boards and testing stuff out.

I have email set on the php default.

I set registration with email activation and registered a test account but no email was received. There was nothing in spam and nothing in the error log.

I changed registration to Admin approval and tried again. User received an email to say the request has been created and is waiting for admin approval.

In the admin center I selected 'approve with email validation' but no further email was recieved, no spam, no error log.

Any ideas why some emails get through but activation/validation emails don't?

UPDATE:

Maybe I was expecting too much? Tried again from scratch and the activation email was received 50 minutes after registration. Is that normal?

Kindred

depends on your mail server and how busy the forum is -- since forum maintenance tasks are only run/triggers by people (or bots) being active on the board.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

madfitz

Ok. Well the forum isn't busy at all. Like I said, it's a clean install that I'm still configuring (I am the only registered member at this point). I'm on a shared server. Could be that I guess?

vbgamer45

Could be an issue with shared server.  The mail might be in a queue that takes a while to process.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Illori

also who is your host? there are some bad/worse and much better hosts out there. some of the bad/worse hosts may not have the best email servers.

madfitz

Thanks guys. I'm thinking it's an issue with the shared server. The host (a small orange) probably won't prioritise things like that.

vbgamer45

You can always use an external smtp system as well for your forum.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Warlock666

You might want to take a look in the headers of the mail. There you will see between which mailservers the delay was.
I guess it was a combination of greylisting on the receiving mailserver and slow retries of the sending server.

Advertisement: