News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

modifying RECENT posts

Started by supernova777, August 05, 2017, 10:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Actually it is processing all the posts, because it has to verify what exists then tie it to board to verify access.

Once it gets to 10 it can stop, but trust me, this is what it does under the hood. The time increase isn't linear.

Kindred

I am not incorrect...   as Arantor explains.

What you have done is NOT recommended.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dave En Velo

Just to offer some support to supernova777.  I have a use case where I would rather trade performance for functionality.  I deploy SMF using a Bitnami image on Google Cloud to a private group of fixed limited numbers.  SMF gives me just what I want, although I would like to increase the View the most recent posts on the forum limit from 100.

So from my perspective a configurable limit (with a recommended value of 100) would be better than the current fixed value, I could even set it lower if I wanted to restrict the performance impact.

I accept that this is a minority requirement and so perhaps not appropriate as a future enhance, especially as supernova777 has described a code change that is not too onerous for the average user.

Dave En Velo

A follow-up to my previous Post.  The supernova777 fix would be simple to apply if the name of the script being modified was specified, I cannot figure it out.  Thanks in advance.

supernova777

i did end up figuring out how to do what i wanted it to do.. being able to navigate back to 600+ posts or more
i forget what i did now tho its been over a year lol

Dave En Velo

Just in case anyone else is going down this same rabbit hole I did eventually manage to work out the code changes, fairly trivial in the end.  See https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=570484.msg4037323#msg4037323

Kindred

it is still not something we would recommend.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: