News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Time Expired Warning

Started by Grammy, January 24, 2021, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

Okay, so I'm gonna take all this as a "no" then.....    well, alrighty.   :)

shadav

:laugh: well a no for now....
i really think it's a good idea so hopefully someone will come along and figure out a way to make this mod  ;D

I'm sure someone could probably use what vbgamer posted
Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 24, 2021, 07:26:08 PM
Check this out!! Auto Renew Sessions
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=545238.0
and somehow tweak it to do what you are looking for, the only issue is that it only seems to work on pageloads....so if someone is on the same screen for x time, it won't work....so just need to figure out how to get around pageload  :P

shadav

so something that does

if logged in and no pageload in x time
popup message to stay logged in
if yes, add x more time to session
if no or no response, log out

now if only I knew how to code  :laugh:

Grammy

Yes, the fact that the mod you mentioned relies on pageloads is what made me feel it wasn't going to be what we needed. 

A lot of people have said this should be simple but maybe it's not so simple, just because it would have to track the user from login and be able to react when there's x-amount of time before automatic logout.  (But I've mentioned my bank's feature, that's what it does.  It knows when I've logged in, how long I've been logged in and when my session is about to expire.)  It does seem to be triggered by a period of inactivity but in the case of my member who was logged out and lost everything, he was actively working on a long post and was just so engrossed in it, that he failed to remember to save his draft.  The logout made him lose it all.  Since he never posted or previewed before this happened, there was no pageload.   :(

So I guess that would be considered a "period of inactivity", just sitting there typing but not actually clicking on anything?  I guess...   :-\

Advertisement: