Time Expired Warning

Started by Grammy, January 24, 2021, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

I can't seem to find a setting for this...  is there a mod that will cause a JS pop-up warning to appear when a member's login time is about to expire?  I have a member who is so upset.  He was working on an article and I guess forgot to save his draft and suddenly found himself logged out... and lost everything. 

When I'm on my bank's web site, I get a pop-up warning and I have the option to stay connected.  Is there any sort of thing like that for SMF?  Not everyone remembers to set their login time or to check "Forever".  A pop-up might be appreciated.  I know this one guy would have loved the few seconds warning to click "Stay Connected" or to at least have saved his work. 

If it can be done, I'm good with this being a paid request.   :)

Steve

I'm not aware of a mod like that but this one may help until someone writes one: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1264
DO NOT pm me for support!

Grammy

Quote from: Steve on January 24, 2021, 06:37:41 PM
I'm not aware of a mod like that but this one may help until someone writes one: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1264

Well, we do have drafts, Steve, but the poor guy didn't anticipate getting the boot and forgot to save his work.  He asked why it couldn't just remind him with a pop up that he was about to "pop out" and the more I thought about it, it sounded like a good idea.  I mentioned my bank in the OP; it's always appreciated by me when I'm trying to balance accounts and find an error, to have a pop-up ask me if I want to stay connected.  So.....   just putting that out into the universe.   

(Incidentally, I love LOVE the drafts mod!)  :D

shadav

this is another good one to have as well :) for those moments
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3256

it's a nice idea for a mod though....hopefully someone will decide to pick it up

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Grammy

Quote from: shadav on January 24, 2021, 07:23:57 PM

it's a nice idea for a mod though....hopefully someone will decide to pick it up

Wow, I have to try this!  It sounds like a nice little safety net.   :D

And, who knows, maybe someone will want to take a shot at the pop-up thing; that'd be awesome! 

Thanks! 

shadav

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 24, 2021, 07:26:08 PM
Check this out!! Auto Renew Sessions
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=545238.0

oh that's nice....but apparently wouldn't really help with this issue since they haven't loaded a page....but still a nice trick, gonna have to add this to my list of stuff to install  :P

vbgamer45

Quote from: shadav on January 24, 2021, 07:23:57 PM

Whoa don't know how I missed that one seems like a cool feature will test it out.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Grammy

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 24, 2021, 07:26:08 PM
Check this out!! Auto Renew Sessions
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=545238.0

Thanks, vbgamer45!  Like shadav said, the poster was in the middle of creating his post and hadn't saved, previewed or posted it so when he got logged out, it was just gone.  Would this mod help with that?  (That's why I was hoping for the little pop-up reminder when you were about 30 seconds or so from getting logged out, so you could click "Continue" and then take the steps to save, etc.)   :)

Mick.

Grammy

Quote from: Mick. on January 24, 2021, 07:42:06 PM
Hmmm.  While looking at new posts, saw this... 
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=460049.0

Yes, I'm about to try installing it and using it but I read through the "issues" comments on that support thread and was thinking that if it wouldn't work for log-outs, maybe I'd hold off.  But I guess I could always upload it to one of my old test forums, log in for a very short threshold, and see what happens when I get bumped while writing my memoirs.   :)

vbgamer45

Doesn't seem to work in WYSIWYG

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Grammy

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 24, 2021, 07:50:45 PM
Doesn't seem to work in WYSIWYG

The Sisyphus mod?  Yeah...   I'm not confident installing it.  So.....  still keeping my fingers crossed for a prompt to stay connected. 
:)

vbgamer45

Yeah, just tested on my sites looks like Have to make a change to support it. Will do testing.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Grammy

Grammy

So....  reading back through this, it seems that the last few comments were about the Sisyphus mod, not about a pop-up.  I guess I'm gonna keep hoping for that, then.  Hope springs eternal.   :D

GigaWatt

Why not just disable session timeouts... stay logged in forever ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kindred

having login DEFAULT to "forever" is cool...     disabling session timeouts is not.
What happens if someone logs in from a public computer, or a friend's system?  Their account information would be saved...   definitely not secure.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Grammy

Quote from: GigaWatt on January 26, 2021, 11:28:55 AM
Why not just disable session timeouts... stay logged in forever ;).
Quote from: Kindred on January 26, 2021, 12:04:10 PM
having login DEFAULT to "forever" is cool...     disabling session timeouts is not.
What happens if someone logs in from a public computer, or a friend's system?  Their account information would be saved...   definitely not secure.

Yeah, I was advised here a long time ago not to mess around with disabling sessions.  So, I'm waving my checkbook in the air, ha!   :D

GigaWatt

Yeah, I meant that ;). It's like... a day or two I believe ;).

I completely agree with this, but someone should also point this out to social media giants ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: