News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Hidden location for 'Regular Members (?)' permissions?

Started by efk, January 24, 2021, 05:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efk

action=admin;area=permissions

Just checked on my forum permissions for Regular Members (?), and it is displayed to have 5. Inside permissions I have only 2, so this sounds to be some bug, or another 3 permissions are somehow hidden somewhere outside Permissions.
Is this normal behavior?
Also what I have noticed is 3 permissions for Administrator, and the number of Administrators on forum is 3. So can this +3 be administrators counted as permissions?
Everything works properly on forum, but this doesn't seem to be normal result, at least visually. Checked permissions for Guests and it is exact expected number 9/9. Normal results for basic post count group with 0 posts.

Illori

admin have all permissions, there should never be a count there for admin.

can you provide a screenshot of the page you are referring to?

maybe you are talking about the column that states number of members?

efk

Admin/Permissions

Both permission groups, Administrator (?) and  Regular Members (?) have +3

Checked error log and found this in General for url/index.php? , 2 errors.
   Type of error: General
2: session_start(): Failed to read session data: user (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php72)
Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/titan/public_html/Sources/Load.php
Line: 2491

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

efk

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 24, 2021, 11:07:56 PM
What do you see in Curve?
What should I search in Curve? I'm checking if there is something newer, since there are barely files from 2nd part of 2020, almost all files are older.

Sir Osis of Liver

Permissions for Administrator should be "All".  What do you see on that page if you view it in Curve?

- R. Waters

efk

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 24, 2021, 11:26:14 PM
Permissions for Administrator should be "All".  What do you see on that page if you view it in Curve?
Just a question before I proceed, where is located option to allow changing theme only for myself and not to everyone on forum? I think that option was disabled long time ago, and so if I change it as administrator, not sure how can effect others?

About this error mentioned above, I found 2 topics mentioning it
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571085.msg4041874#msg4041874
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=573348.msg4057068#msg4057068

shawnb61

I believe the "hidden" permissions are just displayed elsewhere, probably due to mods. 

I just looked, & I see the same thing.  But looking in the DB at the permissions, the "extra" ones are mod-specific permissions, not listed on that page. 

Note that I no longer use the mods in question, but, apparently the permissions were not deleted when the mods were deinstalled, so they're basically just orphans...  Also, the mods blindly added permissions to admin, which was unnecessary, so I do see a # for those stray permissions for the admin, just like you. 

Regarding the session errors, as noted in those threads, that appears to be a host/config issue.  You should be able to diagnose a bit by looking at your session save path in phpinfo, and confirming the path is properly writable.  I think you will only get those errors when you are using the file system for sessions, not the DB.  Sometimes they are just put in temp folders that get cleared out regularly, which can cause periodic hiccups. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sir Osis of Liver

You can change theme just for yourself in profile.  If members are not allowed to do so (it's an option) only admins can do it.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: