Optimized Images of Default Installer

Started by shadav, January 25, 2021, 01:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadav

I was/am still working on optimizing all of the images on all of my sites to help save some disk space and bandwidth (every little bit helps)

and figured I'd go ahead and do it for the default images in the installer

ok we're not talking much in way of size for the default images but again, every little bit helps and why not....

but doing this on 2 of my sites so far I went from 7.25gb to 7.22gb  :laugh: there again we're not talking a huge difference but that's only 2 of my sites....you figure a byte here a byte there times the 1000s of images on your sites, it can add up....

so anyways if anyone is interested here are the optimized images from the default smf 2.0.17 download

again we're not talking much, less than an mb....but again meh every little bit helps

if the staff wants to use these to replace the installers  ;D

vbgamer45

The main thing you also want to optimize is your css and js files those can be minimized and leverage file caching when possible via the server.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

shadav

And here is for the default download of smf 2.1 rc3

:laugh: apparently someone actually did optimize most of these and as there's only one theme in the download, there's really not much at all of any significant size difference here but still a small bit 

shadav

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 25, 2021, 01:23:13 PM
The main thing you also want to optimize is your css and js files those can be minimized and leverage file caching when possible via the server.

thank you....that will be my next step of things but right now it's images, lots and lots of never ending images

I did all of the mp4's awhile ago which drastically cut back on my diskspace
:laugh: not even joking...I was like around 20gbs, dropped that down to around 12gb...made some other changes and now am at 7gb

Sir Osis of Liver

If you want to save significant disk space, there are several things that will do a lot more than nitpicking images. 

- Use an attachment resizer.  Currently working on a forum that has just over 50gb attachments, many of them are large files uploaded directly from phones.  Using a resizer saves a lot of space and facilitates backups.

- Watch your error log.  I've seen several forums with 2-3gb _log_errors table, huge waste of space.

- Be careful with pretty urls.  It has a cache table that can bloat up to several gb if not configured correctly.

Disk space isn't the limited resource it once was (my first computer had a 20mb hd), going to great lengths to minimize small files and css is a good idea in principle, but doesn't accomplish much in practice.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 25, 2021, 08:48:27 PM
Disk space isn't the limited resource it once was (my first computer had a 20mb hd), going to great lengths to minimize small files and css is a good idea in principle, but doesn't accomplish much in practice.

Agreed ;).

Though shadav's got a point, there's no real need nowadays... well, unless it saves GB of space, then yes, I'd agree ;).

Not that I don't try and minimize things as much as I can locally and on my forum, but I do it manually. Not many posts nowadays, like... 2, 3 a week, maybe up to 10 if someone posts something interesting... that's about it.

And locally, on my PC, I recode all my (personal) videos to 720p (no pint in keeping an 1080p video from a phone that's 200-300 euros, right ;)) in x265 and HE-ACC for the audio... and have several backups of all that. I also recompress pictures from phones/cameras, locally and on my forum. Someone uploads an image from their phone, I just download it, recompress and reupload it again in the same post ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

shadav

hm that brings up a good point, I do have a few 1080p videos, and was wondering if 720p wouldn't be just as good....I mean we are talking most folks are just using their phones/tablets and some computers....it's not like the videos are being played on their tvs or anything :p

even after compressing the 1080p they still are sitting at around 10mb whereas the 720p I can get down to 4mb each without losing any or very little quality (only noticeable to my ocd) .....and we're talking over 700 videos with new ones added every other week, so that adds up quickly

as for the images, smf default images aren't that bad....but once you start adding other themes and mods  :P or if you use other scripts on your sites they can be pretty heavy on all of the images in use
and then yeah you got people uploading images to your forums, though I do use the smu****** mod to help with that....

I know that to most it's not really worth it but meh....why not save some space where and when you can ;) not only for disk space but bandwidth as well which is where most people are going to end up running into problems with on shared hosting.

[edit] bwahahahahaha oh lookie I hit the word censor with that one  :P smush it

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No, no censorship here. It's all in your head :P No wait, actually there is - but you can turn it off for yourself if you want to.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GigaWatt

Quote from: shadav on January 26, 2021, 12:38:37 PM
hm that brings up a good point, I do have a few 1080p videos, and was wondering if 720p wouldn't be just as good....I mean we are talking most folks are just using their phones/tablets and some computers....it's not like the videos are being played on their tvs or anything :p

Even if they are, the quality is basically 720p ;). I've tried it with blind tests, me and other people were involved... that's what you get for that price (200, 300 euro phones). The quality of the lens is the problem, not the CCD itself, but in some cases, yes, it's also the CCD.

No point in having that sitting around at 20Mbps, when you can recode it in x265 at 1.5~2Mbps @ 720p and basically have the same quality. Some videos need more, but in rare cases, like if the video was shot outside and it was raining or snowing... basically any video that has a lot of movement from frame to frame, might require more, but no more than 4Mbps @ 720p ;).

Of course, I'm talking about a 2 pass encoding with settings set to very slow or placebo on x265. You probably won't get the same results with higher (faster) settings ;).

Quote from: shadav on January 26, 2021, 12:38:37 PM
as for the images, smf default images aren't that bad....but once you start adding other themes and mods  :P or if you use other scripts on your sites they can be pretty heavy on all of the images in use

Yeah, agree on that ;). If you're experimenting with themes and whatnot, yeah, I'd also try and recompress the images to try and minimize loading time and space ;).

There was something pretty "funny" I tied once :D. I converted every single file in SMF (.php, of course) to have a CR + LF line endings, so I can do quick edits in Notepad (have a right click --> Open with Notepad entry in my menu, so... meeeh, could've done the same with Notepad++, but was just too lazy :P :D) and... well, the server didn't like it :P ;D.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: