News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Guests don't see news fader

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, January 25, 2021, 09:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Never noticed this before, but there's no way to show news fader to guests if guest browsing is disabled.  It's in the board index, so they don't see it.  Wouldn't it be better to place it in index template below linktree with permission for guests to view it or not?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shadav

is the one in the header area not viewable by guests?

efk

Why to disable this "Allow guests to browse the forum"? Allowing it will show to guests and everyone(membergroup) who is not removed from the list/or not added to the list.
Quote from: descriptionUnchecking this box will stop guests from doing anything but very basic actions - login, register, password reminder, etc. - on your forum. This is not the same as disallowing guest access to boards.
You can already remove this permission "Search for posts and topics" if you want from them to log in to search. So I don't see logic to disable guest browsing.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: shadav on January 25, 2021, 10:23:27 PM
is the one in the header area not viewable by guests?

Yes, it is, but I've always disabled it because it's annoying, and haven't bothered formatting it into header in custom themes.  (Suppose I should.)  But I'd rather have guests see the fader, it's more prominent.

Quote from: efk on January 25, 2021, 10:28:17 PM
Why to disable this "Allow guests to browse the forum"? Allowing it will show to guests and everyone(membergroup) who is not removed from the list/or not added to the list.
Quote from: descriptionUnchecking this box will stop guests from doing anything but very basic actions - login, register, password reminder, etc. - on your forum. This is not the same as disallowing guest access to boards.
You can already remove this permission "Search for posts and topics" if you want from them to log in to search. So I don't see logic to disable guest browsing.

Guests can be removed from allowed groups on all boards, they can still see the fader but no boards.  Not that bad an option, only thing they don't see is the guest login window, but my forums always have header login.

- R. Waters

landyvlad

Do you use a portal mod? I'm sure there would be a nicer way of implementing something like this in a portal block.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 25, 2021, 09:55:55 PM
Never noticed this before, but there's no way to show news fader to guests if guest browsing is disabled.  It's in the board index, so they don't see it.
To me, this sounds logical. You don't want guests reading the forum, you most likely don't want the fader to show for guests either.
Wouldn't it be better to place it in index template below linktree with permission for guests to view it or not?
Perhaps, but would be a really specific narrow permission - and an extra permission to handle anyways, for something I don't think too many would use.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

efk

About News fader, the main problem is moving all boards up and down, so its like facebook, you start reading something and it just moves up or down, I'm going to click on something, and boards move up and down, so I do wrong click and wrong topic or something else is clicked. I don't get why box size is not specified to get max size for longest news, and not to reduce when shorter text go next. For me this is annoying hole in SMF and it demand from administrator to use portal.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 27, 2021, 12:39:41 AM
Never noticed this before, but there's no way to show news fader to guests if guest browsing is disabled.  It's in the board index, so they don't see it.
To me, this sounds logical. You don't want guests reading the forum, you most likely don't want the fader to show for guests either.

This was a situation where we're working on a forum and members might not be able to login, so we wanted to post a message that's visible to guests with guest browsing disable so members would know what was happening.  Placing the message in the guest login window was another option, but fader would have been better.  Not a common situation, but there have been other occasions where this would have been useful.

Quote from: efk on January 27, 2021, 01:33:21 AM
About News fader, the main problem is moving all boards up and down, so its like facebook, you start reading something and it just moves up or down, I'm going to click on something, and boards move up and down, so I do wrong click and wrong topic or something else is clicked. I don't get why box size is not specified to get max size for longest news, and not to reduce when shorter text go next. For me this is annoying hole in SMF and it demand from administrator to use portal.

^ This is soooo annoying.  Never tried to fix it (too lazy), usual workaround is to add linebreaks.  But it's kind of crappy. :P

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, been there done that - Annoying to try and keep all news items the same length :P Don't really use the fader anymore because of that.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

I think that the problem is that the newsfader uses javascript instead of CSS....     with CSS, it loads ALL the content and just cycles through the display

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Could give it fixed height and make it a ticker so text scrolls right to left, but that's a whole different thing.  Never tried it.  Has it been changed in 2.1?

- R. Waters

Kindred

nope

but, it uses a clear css call -- #smf_slider so you could declare a fixed height.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Kindred

#smf_slider {overflow:auto;height: 20vh;} in slider.min.css

https://test2.turtleshellprod.com/index.php

edit- corrected the "scroll" to "auto"

edit2 - corrected height to use vh instead of px

Viewport units: vw, vh, vmin, vmax - CR Length units representing 1% of the viewport size for viewport width (vw), height (vh), the smaller of the two (vmin), or the larger of the two (vmax).
Слaва
Украинi

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Advertisement: