News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

settings.php after upgrade to 2.0.17 from 1.1.19

Started by Oldwood, January 28, 2021, 06:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldwood

Recently upgraded and, within reason, everything working OK (more problems with the landing page than SMF).  Anyway, as part of my re-education for re-customizing the forum (not touched it for past 10 years) I had a gander at settings.php and this still shows the 1.1 version. My questions is: would it be OK to copy settings.php from the 2.0.17 install package and modify the variable values across ($db_name, $db_user) etc.  I note that there are variables in 2.0 (eg $ssi_db_user) that do not exist in the 1.1 version.  Any advice would be appreciated.   

Kindred

you can either edit in your settings for the 2.0 version -- or modify your 1.1 version to add in the 2.0 variables
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oldwood

Thanks Kindred.  I think I'll go with the 2.0 version - just looks a lot cleaner and easier to understand.  However I do have a question about a few variables which appear in the 1.1 version and not in the 2.0 version.  These are: $image_proxy_secret, $image_proxy_maxsize, $auth_secret and $image_proxy_enabled.  In the 1.1 version I had a bridge to Gallery2 but I assume these variables are nothing to do with the images stored in Gallery2.  Given that, I have no clue as to what purpose these variables serve or whether they need to be incorporated into the 2.0 varient of Settings.php.  Should I copy these across as well or just ignore them?  Thanks again for your help.       

Kindred

lol... I found the same variables in a site that I recently moved.

I'd say copy them over. I can't recall if SMF uses the proxy secret in 2.0.x proxy calls... but having them won't hurt.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Copy them over, they are the settings for the image proxy ( Admin -> Configuration -> Server Settings -> General -> Enable Image Proxy and the following settings after it. )

The last lines in my settings.php

$image_proxy_secret = 'withdrawn';
$image_proxy_maxsize = 5190;
$image_proxy_enabled = 1;
$auth_secret = 'withdrawn';
$db_character_set = 'utf8';
?>
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

The 2.0  upgrader leaves comments alone....    Thus, a forum that started off at 1.1, even after a successful upgrade to 2.0, still has 1.1 comments in there.  (That's how mine looks...)

The proxy variables are 2.0 variables, added by the upgrader.  Sounds like you have proper 2.0 settings already.

I'd leave everything alone...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb61

Note also that there were no settings removed from settings.php from 1.1 to 2.0.  Only adds.

If you are still going to move items over to the 2.0 template for readability, you should move all entries over. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: