splitting up a 2.0 install and porting a single board to a 2.1 install

Started by drewactual, February 02, 2021, 09:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewactual

... and the 2.1 site is already up and running, void of posts/members, though.

what is the best practice to extract and port over members and then the contents of a single board from the DB?

Kindred

There is no "best practice" for this because it was never designed to be done....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

drewactual

semantics....

what WOULD BE the best practice for accomplishing this?

Kindred

it gets really complicated because tables are cross referencing.

members, topics, messages, settings, attachments (at the very least) and probably several log_ tables

but you don't want all of the topics, messages or settings tables.

there really is no GOOD way to move over only PART of the content.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

drewactual

is there an automated manner to port/copy it to 2.1 as a complete conversion- which then i will later prune the boards not needed?

shawnb61

Quote from: drewactual on February 02, 2021, 09:41:53 AM
is there an automated manner to port/copy it to 2.1 as a complete conversion- which then i will later prune the boards not needed?

Run the upgrader.   :)

Seriously, if you want a copy of a 2.0 board in 2.1, make a copy & then upgrade it.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

drewactual

- made clean install of 2.0.18
- dumped db of existing site- 300 members, 300k posts, 30k topics
- uploaded db to fresh 2.0.18 site
- pruned the posts and topics not wanted for the move
- ran the upgrade to 2.1rc3
- dumped that db
- uploaded the new 2.1rc3 db over the old 2.1rc3 database...

poof.. the board, member, posts, counts, avatars, PM's, et all was saved.   the only thing that was tricky was setting the permissions groups so folks could actually post... i've no clue why they didn't port w/o effort...

Advertisement: