News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

YaBB 2.6.11 conversion

Started by gstahl, February 02, 2021, 11:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstahl

I have been running a YaBB forum for about the last 15-20 years ). YaBB is now outdated and we have many PERL issues.  I'm running a YaBB 2.6.11 forum with 10,211 topics, 90,071 posts and  4,374 registered members (in nine membergroups).  We have tens of thousands of attachments.  While I know there have been others that have converted 2.6.11 to SMF, it is beyond my expertise to even attempt this conversion.  This FORUM is for a non-profit group and I have asked the Board for funds to hire someone, otherwise, I'll have to abandon this FORUM and start with a fresh SMF and lose all the content and knowledge contained in the Yabb forum.  I have a call into one of our developers to see if he will take on this project and for what costs and thought I would post here to see where I can look to find others that may have the knowledge to do this.  We have a dedicated server and our Host is Inmotionhosting, so I can pretty much load whatever I want on the Server with the assistance of the Host or via the Root WHM.  Cheers, Greg

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

justinbowser

gstahl,

Good luck with your attachments.  I converted mine from the same version as yours and lost about 75% of my attachments and have been having to add then back to the threads manually.  I have my users message me with a thread that needs fixing and I then add them.  The rest of the conversion went fairly smoothly but I could get no help for the attachment issue.  If somebody would write a reliable attachment conversion utility I would gladly shell out a few bucks for it!

Regards,

Justin B.
Admin bmwr65.org

gstahl

Quote from: justinbowser on February 04, 2021, 11:21:40 PM
gstahl,

Good luck with your attachments.  I converted mine from the same version as yours and lost about 75% of my attachments and have been having to add then back to the threads manually.  I have my users message me with a thread that needs fixing and I then add them.  The rest of the conversion went fairly smoothly but I could get no help for the attachment issue.  If somebody would write a reliable attachment conversion utility I would gladly shell out a few bucks for it!

Regards,

Justin B.
Admin hxxp:bmwr65.org [nonactive]
We did it!! I have a developer that i always call on and he recoded the converter and did the conversion. Do not know the bill yet but likely about $500 which was worth it for our nonprofit group. Once i know more I'll post and see if we can load the new converter as Yabb is dead for us. Our developer fixed the attachment issue. I'm now going through and adding member groups and setting permissions. I have never used smf so this is a huge change for me as i have setup many yabb forums

XHarrison

Sent you a PM mate.

Hope you can upload the converter here so everyone can move away from YaBB and move on ! :-)

alans

please can you send me the convertor.... Im in the same situation as you...

XHarrison

Quote from: alans on July 17, 2021, 11:13:15 PM
please can you send me the convertor.... Im in the same situation as you...

He won't reply to my PM and not on this post, so I don't know what he's playing at.

He should upload the 2.6.1.1 convertor for everyone that's stuck on this version of YABB (me included)

I hope he returns soon and see our posts....

shadav

given his post count I don't think that he can use the pm system

and well he's not been on the forums here since may....

finding someone that's familiar with both yabb and smf might be a bit tricky

given bigguy's response here
Quote from: Bigguy on July 17, 2021, 09:46:28 AM
This looks like it would be a huge job. I wish I could help some how. I'm sure someone with knowledge on this will be around soon. Good luck with it all. :)
you might have some luck posting a paid request in the Help Wanted (not for support)

what is your php version, also what version of yabb are you converting from and what version of smf are you converting to (I'd stick with 2.0.18)

XHarrison

PHP 7.2 i think i'm using (not checked in a while)

And YaBB  2.6.1.1  Want to use the latest version of SMF,

I have even tried asking over at BB forums, and they don't have a converter at all.

SMF is as close as possible and this guy on this thread claims to have it working? And just ran away since May? (bit rude i think)

alans

I to need this convertor please...

XHarrison

Agreed, and to say "it's a big job" well that guy got a working converter VERY quickly though... and just ran away

I hope he was telling the truth he should share with the SMF Community.
It's what we're all here for to move on from old outdated software and join SMF/PHPBB/BB etc

The staff here SHOULD EMAIL this guy.

Advertisement: