News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

PHP 7.4 and memcached

Started by MoonCat, February 22, 2021, 02:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonCat

After upgrading to SMF 2.0.18 and PHP 7.4 I see memcached is no longer found on the server.
I rolled back to PHP 7.2 and voila it's again working.
Did anyone observe the same phenomena?

In terms of performance what would you recommend: moving to PHP 7.4 w/ file caching (default) or 7.2 w/ memcached? Seems like I need to make trade-offs :)

Thank You!

MoonCat

One more thing, I'd like to ask.
In PHP 7.2 I see installed modules 'memcache' and 'memcached'.
While in PHP 7.4 only 'memcached' is installed. Does it make any difference? Shall I ask the host provider to install the other module?

Illori

yes it does make a difference. as far as i know SMF 2.0 does not support memchached.

MoonCat

Quote from: Illori on February 22, 2021, 04:49:18 AM
yes it does make a difference. as far as i know SMF 2.0 does not support memchached.
that's interesting, as I found many support tickets related to SMF 2.0 memcache usage.
Here is one as an example: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=554453.0

Here is the response I received from the Host provider: "note that Memcache is completely replaced by Memcached on PHP 7.4 which is the reason why you do not see that Memcache extension for that PHP version."

vbgamer45

I am using memcache on PHP 7.4 but on windows with Apache from a version i found on github

memcache support   enabled
Version    4.0.5.2
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

MoonCat

Thanks,  vbgamer45!
I suspected that the support person is misleading me...
I'll put some pressure to get it resolved...

vbgamer45

They might not be not sure if it is true for linux or not.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: