News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can someone help me upgrade the db? first time.

Started by rcane, February 22, 2021, 09:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcane

Created a new board.
The board returned the topic solved NULL error (which I can fix), but included the following below it as a possible solution.

I haven't had to update the db before so I'd rather ask around before trashing something.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

rcane

Well, it seems I can't.  It won't create the new board.

Sir Osis of Liver

A little more info would be helpful.  Are you trying to patch from .17 to .18 using package manager?  Any errors?

- R. Waters

rcane

I haven't patched anything.

I was making a new board.  It fails with that error.  the board never gets made.  it suggested an update.  I've never performed one before, and didn't want to do it for the first while trying to fix an error.   Would have been less stressful to do an upgrade with things working well....know what I mean?

this is the other error, the one that precedes my attached image.

Field 'topic_solved' doesn't have a default value
File: /home/myDNS/public_html/myDNS.com/Sources/Subs-Boards.php
Line: 784

Sir Osis of Liver

Assuming you've uploaded the 2.0.18 install package and run install.php with a new (empty) database, you should not be getting that error.

- R. Waters

rcane

Yeah, I have downloaded and installed nothing.

I didn't even know it was time.  I was just creating a new board--with no success.

Is there a primer in the online manual for doing that?

rcane

I found for download:

1. smf 2-0-18 upgrade zip folder
2. smf patch 2.0.18_tar

I'll need to backup my db before this I'd imagine.  that's why I was figuring I needed primer on the steps.

Sir Osis of Liver

You must have installed something or you wouldn't be getting those errors.  Start from scratch with 2.0.18 full install package and new database.

https://download.simplemachines.org/

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

- R. Waters

rcane

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 22, 2021, 09:54:24 PM
You must have installed something or you wouldn't be getting those errors.  Start from scratch with 2.0.18 full install package and new database.

https://download.simplemachines.org/

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

I promise you I haven't installed a thing.  My site was working with just the first handful of users registered (and not even posting yet).  I decided a new board was needed and created it, but received that error when I wanted to save it. 

I know enough to fess up if I tried something and got an error.   I really did change nothing but attempt a board add.

If I do a from scratch, am I going to lose all my boards and settings/mods/et al?

Can I at least learn to try an upgrade before scorched earth?

shadav

did you fix the topic solved doesn't have a default value?

after you fix that, exit the page fully, go back and start over trying to create the new board

pressing the back button and then submit will continue to give you this error, you have to start over from scratch, exiting the current page completely

rcane

Quote from: shadav on February 22, 2021, 10:00:06 PM

after you fix that, exit the page fully, go back and start over trying to create the new board

pressing the back button and then submit will continue to give you this error, you have to start over from scratch, exiting the current page completely

Well I've done that previously.  Went in and found the DB and verified the default value was NULL.  I'll go back and start over.

But, does A from scratch destroy all the settings and boards and such?  I would prefer to not start over.

Sir Osis of Liver

I misunderstood, you're trying to create a new board on an existing forum?  You can fix the topic_solved error by assigning 'null' value to that field in database using phpmyadmin.  Or you can uninstall the topic solved mod.

- R. Waters

shadav

Quote from: rcane on February 22, 2021, 10:05:45 PM
Quote from: shadav on February 22, 2021, 10:00:06 PM

Well I've done that previously.  Went in and found the DB and verified the default value was NULL.  I'll go back and start over.

But, does A from scratch destroy all the settings and boards and such?  I would prefer to not start over.

just go back to board modify page and add that new board....don't use the back button under the error message otherwise it will just keep spitting out that error about needing to update

you don't need to delete anything, just exit out of the current page for the board that you are trying to add and getting the error on....and go back to your admin > forum > modify boards (whatever its called) and add a new board

if you fixed the topic solved issue, you should be able to create a new board now

rcane

It's fixed.

I found the boards php to change the default to NULL.  Originally it was in the topic_solved that I made that change. 

Thanks for the patience.

That said, is there a good primer to guide me to updating to 2.0.18?

Kindred

To be completely clear....

The upgrade message is a false  message. It is a mistake/generic message.

If you ACTUALLY have assigned a default value to the column in phpmyadmin, then you won't get the error.if you still get the error,  then either you are viewing a cached page or you did not actually assign a default to the column 
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rcane

Quote from: Kindred on February 22, 2021, 10:56:21 PM
To be completely clear....

The upgrade message is a false  message. It is a mistake/generic message.

If you ACTUALLY have assigned a default value to the column in phpmyadmin, then you won't get the error.if you still get the error,  then either you are viewing a cached page or you did not actually assign a default to the column

See my post above yours.  i think i was typing when you answered.

Kindred

You are already at 2.0.18.

Ignore that part of the error. It's not valid
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: