PHP 8.0.2 and MySQL 8.0

Started by trlacey, February 28, 2021, 03:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trlacey

Will the SMF Forum work with these?

shadav

I don't believe so

I think php 7.4 is the highest it is made to work with currently, however that being said I do believe some people have tested it with php 8 and it seemed to be working

but I believe officially php 7.4 is what is supported

as for the db, sorry I have no idea

trlacey

shadav

:laugh: sorry I'm not much help here  :P

i mean if all else fails, it can't hurt to install it on a test site and see if it works?

but keep in mind it's still in rc, so not recommended to use in a live environment and because it's an rc there's no way to update it when the next rc is released, aside from a fresh install so any themes or mods installed will be lost

someone else should chime in though to answer your questions for certain

shawnb61

^^^ What shadav said.

AND...

The few issues we've seen with php 8 have all been fixed on the latest GitHub download.

The two wrinkles we've seen with mysql 8 are:
- If your DB is defaulting to the utf8mb4 character set, you may get error 1071 during install.  You should make sure your DB default is utf8, not utf8mb4, before installing.
- Some earlier php versions (php < 7.4) didn't support some of the new mysql authentication plugins, so some people are getting the DB login credentials rejected.  The way to fix this is to make sure the DB user used to connect in Settings.php is using the 'mysql_native_password' plugin, e.g.:
ALTER USER mydbuser IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'mypassword';

But once setup, everything is fine.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

trlacey

OK. Thanks Guys. I'll play with it when I get a chance.

trlacey

Just installed 2.0.18. Everything seems to be working fine so far.

trlacey

Only one issue. The birthdate for members doesn't seem to want to update.

shadav

this isn't an official patch so it will need to be removed before updating to the next smf 2.0.x release but shawn posted a fix for it :)
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=576665.msg4081406#msg4081406

trlacey

Thanks shadav. I'll let you know if there's any other issues. Everything seems fine. You can move this Post to the 2.0 forum if you'd like.

trlacey

Here's the only issue I have seen so far with using PHP 8.0.2...

"[01-Mar-2021 05:40:46 America/Vancouver] PHP Deprecated:  Required parameter $keys follows optional parameter $method in D:\Inetpub\laceyimages.com\smff\Sources\Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 1456"

shawnb61

Sorry, my note above was for 2.1 (this is in the 2.1 support board).  There were a couple of instances of that have been fixed in 2.1 that are outstanding in 2.0.18.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

m4z

"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

trlacey

Thanks Guys. I just made the $method parameter required and everything seems to be working fine.

Advertisement: