News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Installation of French language files

Started by GordonM, November 22, 2005, 04:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonM

I would like users to be able to login to either an English version of my forum or a French version.  Both the icons, buttons etc need to be available in both languages and also the content (there will be completely parallel content).

So far as I can see, this will require two databases, unless I have duplicate English/French Categories and Bulletin Boards on the same forum ... maybe this second idea is simplest, e.g. having two Categories "English" and "French" and the content below those levels in the appropriate language.

To accommodate French users, I need to install the French language files.  In the SMF Download section, it just says:

The following files contain additional (except in the case of English) language packages.  Just extract them into the same directory as the installation of SMF.

If I do this literally, I am going to end up with two Themes folders at the same directory level ... obviously not right.  So, do I have to individually move the French files into the repective folders that already exist in the English version?

From elsewhere in this support forum, it seems that I need to specify the URL for the respective languages as http:// www ......... index.php?language=French and similarly to switch back to English.

My basic question is where do I put the French language files to avoid any duplication of folder names with the existing English ones?

Thank you
Gordon

GordonM

Sorry, I have just noticed the FAQ.  I suspect this will tell me what I need.

Gordon

GordonM

Maybe I was premature.   The translation FAQ doesn't tell me what I need to know.  I would delete a couple of my posts on this subject if I could, but that doesn't seem to be possible!

GordonM

Daniel D.

I tested it with every package. If you drag the package over the existing SMF root folder, just choose "Extract here" in your zip program. Otherwise extract the language package on your harddisk and copy it manually on the ftp server. Just copy the Themes folder in your SMF root directory and choose overwrite if the program asks you.

GordonM

Daniel - If I do as you say, does this give me dual language support or French only.

Thank you
GordonM

rider

Quote from: GordonM on November 22, 2005, 05:18:00 PM
Daniel - If I do as you say, does this give me dual language support or French only.

Thank you
GordonM

I believe that if you add the french lang file to the folder,the members will have the option to view in french or english.Or any other language that you chose.

Daniel D.

Quote from: GordonM on November 22, 2005, 05:18:00 PM

Thank you
GordonM
Dual, why should it give you the other option? Makes no sense, right?

GordonM

Advertisement: