News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Help with glitches

Started by Glamourgan, March 15, 2021, 12:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glamourgan

I have uploaded Simple Machines Forums to my cPanel and it isn't operating properly.  I am using 2.0.18 version.  I would like to get some assistance in getting it functioning properly. 

Issues:

1.  If you delete a post or change anything it doesn't show the update immediately, it takes several hours to see the change.

2. If a new user registers all they can see is the administrator's account.  Their account isn't separate.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This is certainly a caching problem on the host side. Some hosts have setups that do not really account for dynamic content.
I would suggest you contact your host.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Looking

Glamourgan, did you get any error messages during installation? What about in your error log now?

Kindred

your second issue has two possible causes...

1- it could be related to a stupid configuration of the host-side cache...   It's caching the Admin login and then showing that to the next user.

2- If you (somehow) managed to delete the post-count based group for 0 posts, then all new users will be admins
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Glamourgan

Quote from: Looking on March 15, 2021, 12:50:31 PM
Glamourgan, did you get any error messages during installation? What about in your error log now?

Thank you for your question.  No, I didn't get an error.

Looking

Glamourgan, are you on free or shared hosting like Godaddy for instance or some hosting company that 'promises' you unlimited everything? Did you install yourself or use the Cpanel installer: Softaculous?

Glamourgan

Quote from: Kindred on March 15, 2021, 01:25:52 PM
your second issue has two possible causes...

1- it could be related to a stupid configuration of the host-side cache...   It's caching the Admin login and then showing that to the next user.

2- If you (somehow) managed to delete the post-count based group for 0 posts, then all new users will be admins

Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall?  How do I fix it?

Glamourgan

Quote from: Looking on March 15, 2021, 02:29:13 PM
Glamourgan, are you on free or shared hosting like Godaddy for instance, or some hosting company that 'promises' you unlimited everything? Did you install yourself or use the Cpanel installer: Softaculous?

I did not use Softaculous? I use Godaddy.  I installed it on the cPanel.  It was available as a download from Godaddy. They had a list of popular applications so I went that route. Then I updated the simple machines forum to the newer version SMF 2.0.18

Can this be fixed?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ask GoDaddy to disable caching. Trust me.
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 15, 2021, 12:24:58 PM
This is certainly a caching problem on the host side. Some hosts have setups that do not really account for dynamic content.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Glamourgan

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 15, 2021, 02:41:02 PM

I will try that now

Glamourgan

Quote from: Glamourgan on March 15, 2021, 02:47:40 PM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 15, 2021, 02:41:02 PM

I will try that now

Wonderful.   That solved problem number 1.  Let me see if problem number 2 is fixed.

Glamourgan

Problem number 1 and number 2 are solved with disabling the website cache.  Thank you.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Glamourgan

Wonderful.  I see one more issue.

Attachments.  Is there a setting to allow attachments and the size of the file attachments?  I would like to allow large pictures to be attached, and or embeded in a post.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There may be some limitations on the size that your forum can handle (specially on a host like GoDaddy) but you can find documentation on the settings here https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Attachments_and_Avatars
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Glamourgan

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 15, 2021, 04:08:36 PM
There may be some limitations on the size that your forum can handle (specially on a host like GoDaddy) but you can find documentation on the settings here https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Attachments_and_Avatars

They just want to add pictures to their posts.  Is this the right information for that?  How do I create the setting for photo size and permission to add attachments?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, you can add images as attachments - or simply by using BBC-code to embed them in the post directly  with [img] [/img]
Documentation on permissions is at https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Steve

Even though already marked as solved I'm moving this to the support section as this really doesn't meet the criteria for posting here.

If you have any other issues regarding this or any other problem, please let us know. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Glamourgan

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 15, 2021, 04:20:44 PM
Well, you can add images as attachments - or simply by using BBC-code to embed them in the post directly  with [img] [/img]

Where in my admin settings do I give permission to members for attachments in posts and the size of those attachments?

Steve

Administration Center -> Forum -> Attachments and Avatars -> Attachment Settings

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Permissions:
Admin -> Members -> Permissions -> General permissions
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions

You can create new membergroups for different permission sets if needed in Admin -> Members -> Membergroups
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Membergroups

Attachment settings:
Admin -> Forum -> Attachments and avatars -> Attachment settings
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Attachments_and_Avatars
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Steve

What he said. I was just looking for the permissions path when the boss beat me to it. :P

Kindred

do note that, in 2.0.x, attachments are added the bottom of the post and are not "inline"
if you want inline images, the users need to use IMG BBC tags, or use the inline attachments mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Glamourgan

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 15, 2021, 04:28:54 PM
Permissions:
Admin -> Members -> Permissions -> General permissions
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions

You can create new membergroups for different permission sets if needed in Admin -> Members -> Membergroups
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Membergroups

Attachment settings:
Admin -> Forum -> Attachments and avatars -> Attachment settings
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Attachments_and_Avatars

Thank you so much.  Problem solved.

Steve

Advertisement: