News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

forum mail not working after upgrade to 2.0.18

Started by lather, March 18, 2021, 05:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lather

I was alerted to this by a user who was getting no response from Fogot Password. I registered a test user using one of my email addresses and got  no email. I then installed the contact page mod and tried a couple contacts, nothing delivered. I have a php mail test script working from the forum root so it does not appear to be a server issue. Ant ideas? Thanks/

lather

I was alerted to this problem by a user who was getting no mail response using forgot password. I also registered a new user using one of my email accounts and got no mail/ I then installed contact page mod but this is also not getting delivered. I have a email test php script  working from the forum root

shadav

merged your topics together....please don't create multiple topics for the same issue thank you, also please allow 24 hours for a reply....

sorry but I can't help I don't know anything about mail issues

searching the forum here's some things that may or may not help

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/E-Mails_-_Why_are_members_not_getting_emails_sent_from_the_forum

are you using godaddy? seems to be an issue with them....

your host may have disabled emails marking you as a spammer?

is there any errors in your smf logs or sever logs?

lather

Sorry for the duplicate messages, was unintended. I am using godaddy and they use spamassasin and it does have some issues. But...email was working, although delayed,  with 2.0.17. I have set spamassasin to the lowest level and will see if that helps.

Sir Osis of Liver

GoDaddy. :P  Spamassasin, like any other server software, will not work well if it's poorly configured, but it's designed to filter incoming email, not outgoing, so it's unlikely to be causing the problem.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ninja ZX-10RR

Maybe a bit of a silly question but... index.php?action=admin;area=serversettings; Does the webmaster email exist (and work)? :) It's usually a [email protected], but you should also create that account from cPanel.

Also check the mail settings index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=settings; it can use either phpmail or SMTP. Both can work, if configured properly. Given that you said that a php test script works I would double check whether that page has phpmail selected and not SMTP with wrong settings.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

lather

I have tried different working addresses for webmaster in server settings. I just now checked the mail settings and it was set to  test after changing mail que from SMTP  tp SMTP  and SMTP server was blank. I will change to PHP mail and test. Also I notice Mail Queue is not enabled, should it be?
Thanks for the suggestion and thank to Sir Osis for the info on Spamassasin.
Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on March 19, 2021, 12:55:57 AM
Maybe a bit of a silly question but... index.php?action=admin;area=serversettings; Does the webmaster email exist (and work)? :) It's usually a [email protected], but you should also create that account from cPanel.

Also check the mail settings index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=settings; it can use either phpmail or SMTP. Both can work, if configured properly. Given that you said that a php test script works I would double check whether that page has phpmail selected and not SMTP with wrong settings.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: lather on March 19, 2021, 09:39:51 AM
I just now checked the mail settings and it was set to  test after changing mail que from SMTP  tp SMTP  and SMTP server was blank.
SMTP require manual configuration, you need to grab parameters from your webmail inside cPanel if you want to use SMTP.
Quote from: lather on March 19, 2021, 09:39:51 AMI will change to PHP mail and test.
PHPmail should work without additional configuration, and if your php test script works fine this setting should also work.
Quote from: lather on March 19, 2021, 09:39:51 AMAlso I notice Mail Queue is not enabled, should it be?
Not necessarily, it's something else that can be used not to send too many emails at once. I would say that first we need to actually get them to work properly, then if you want you can think about sending too many ;D
Quote from: lather on March 19, 2021, 09:39:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestion and thank to Sir Osis for the info on Spamassasin.
You're welcome :)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

lather

OK, after changing mail setting to PHPmail the Forgot Password message is getting delivered. Still nothing from Contact Page but that is probably a mod issue.
Thanks for the help!

Nevermind about Contact Page, got that figured out. Misunderstood mod setting, thought messages were automatically going to server email.

Ninja ZX-10RR

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Krillin

I do not mean to bump this but nothing seen here resolved this issue. Emails have not been going out on SMF for I do not know how long now. I have used SMTP since I have started using SMF more than 10 years ago. My hosting company upgraded their system, and I cannot get SMTP working to save my life as it requires authentication now for both SMTP configurations offered. The non-secured way threw a weird message. I have had SMF on (PHP Default) for a month or longer and not a single email is being sent. I have tested the PHP email as shown in E-Mails_-_Why_are_members_not_getting_emails_sent_from_the_forum. The email sends fine which indicates to me that PHP is working fine so this now points to the SMF Module. I even went as far as replacing the files from a new "FULL 2.0.18" zip file. This did not fix the issue and my hosting company says the issue is with the "third party" software making my forums useless at this point. I have been with the same hosting company since 2014 and this the first pain in the butt issue I have ever encountered. Any help is really appreciated. I have ran out of ideas to get this working, so I am here seeking a solution to get my forums working.

www.krillinsworld.com/forum in cause you need to take a look at them.

Best Regards,
Krillin
Gaming Community Web Site
Forums Use: SMF 2.0.18
Mods Installed: (NONE)
Browser: Chrome

Sir Osis of Liver

Forum or server logging any errors?

Who is your host?

- R. Waters

Krillin

I cannot find any errors from the form, not sure where to look on my host as my primary domain for my hosting company is my company site. My hosting company is web-host.com from Namecheap.com as this is who I have been with since 2014.

I just tried to have an email sent by "forgot password" to one of my other accounts and I got:
Unable to send mail to the email address '[email protected]'

This is also another message with the same for another email account, looks like a spammer email address.

Krillin

Sir Osis of Liver

There may or may not be an errorlog file in forum root, or you can look in cpanel for server errors.  Sounds like a server problem, but if host support is not helpful there's not a lot you can do.  Simple solution is to move to better host.  You can migrate the forum and update nameservers for forum domain, shouldn't affect anything on company site.

- R. Waters

Oldiesmann

According to mxtoolbox.com, your host doesn't have reverse DNS set up for the mail servers (see https://blog.mxtoolbox.com/2010/04/01/what-does-the-warning-reverse-dns-failed-mean-smtp-diagnostic-tool/ for an explanation). This could be the issue (though there should be more detailed info in a log somewhere), so I'd at least recommend asking the host to set this up.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Krillin

I found an error log in the root of /forum and it is filled with 1.11 MB of errors from the forum.

Here is a sample of them, but last entry was 2/16/2021.

[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 235
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 237
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 278
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 280
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 2708
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 2708
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 2820

I will chat with my hosting company now.

Thanks for the info.

Krillin

Krillin

My hosting company is holding my email log files to themselves claiming
Quote from: Yurii Sakharuta Namecheaphosting.com (non)customer support
Mail server logs consist of personal date of all clients and it is very sensitive information.
making my task impossible for me to track down why emails are not being sent.

Any idea or recomendations?

Krillin

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Krillin on March 31, 2021, 10:52:45 PM
I found an error log in the root of /forum and it is filled with 1.11 MB of errors from the forum.

Here is a sample of them, but last entry was 2/16/2021.

[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 235
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 237
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 278
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 280
[16-Feb-2021 06:05:32 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/s25crsxn/public_html/krillinsworld/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 2820

I will chat with my hosting company now.

Thanks for the info.

Krillin

That wouldn't have anything to do with the mail problem. That code is related to the Package Manager.

Quote from: Krillin on March 31, 2021, 11:30:20 PM
My hosting company is holding my email log files to themselves claiming
Quote from: Yurii Sakharuta Namecheaphosting.com (non)customer support
Mail server logs consist of personal date of all clients and it is very sensitive information.
making my task impossible for me to track down why emails are not being sent.

Any idea or recomendations?

Krillin

That means there's a single log for all email sent through that particular mail server rather than a separate one for each account, which makes perfect sense. I would at least tell them your problem and ask them to look into it. They should be able to track down the issue.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Krillin

Quote from: Oldiesmann on April 01, 2021, 12:12:27 AM

That wouldn't have anything to do with the mail problem. That code is related to the Package Manager.

That means there's a single log for all email sent through that particular mail server rather than a separate one for each account, which makes perfect sense. I would at least tell them your problem and ask them to look into it. They should be able to track down the issue.
I am still in a chat session with my hosting department asking me the same questions over and over again. But I clicked on your Cincy Space link and saw weather for Cincinnati, Oh. I am up here in Cleveland, Oh! This hosting department keeps you in "waiting" mode for so long. Been 1h30m now. Getting NO WHERE!

Krillin

Krillin

After 4 hours, my hosting department found the problem. Well, two near as I can see.

1) The port number was changed (though I think the old one was still valid).
2) The $web_master address variable in the Settings.php needed to be changed to the email addressed used for sending mail in the forums, WHY?!

My email address was set for @gmail.com, so bad terminology there. gmail locked down the domain name for being used in this manor.

So my thinking is, why is this set in the database when it uses the Settings.php file. Why even bother having the email posted in there it is not being used? I never knew the forum used a setting OUTSIDE the settings within the database to send emails. As the webmaster email is different then smtp_send email. What in the world!?

Many thanks for pushing me to deal with this with my hosting company.

Krillin

Advertisement: