Help request: Moving from SMF 2.0.4 to SMF 2.0.18

Started by Voodoo Chile, March 20, 2021, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voodoo Chile

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm new in technical stuff too, before asking this I read the "READ FIRST: How to help us help you" thread, then went to the "wiki page" linked there and last, I searched the board and read the first 4 pages of this message board and couldn't find this question/request for help.

I have two message boards at rocksoff dot org, one of them is there since 2003 and is SMF 2.0.4, my host provider one day removed the board without informing first, so I complained and the board is up but will be removed mid-April if I don't move to 18 before.

They told me that to move from SMF 2.0.4 to SMF 2.0.18 the change must be patch by patch, so we need 14 changes and the cost will be between $750 to $1,375 USD depending on how hard is the first move, if it's easy it will be "only" $750 and it will be done one each day, they say that patching must be done from one version to the next in the same series and that it's impossible to do the patching from 2.0.4 to 2.0.18

Questions:
  • Is it possible to move directly from SMF 2.0.4 to 2.0.18?
  • If I install SMF 2.0.18 can I import my archives in SMF 2.0.4
The message board I'm talking about is located here (LINK REMOVED AS I CANNOT POST LINKS, but its rocksoff dot org slash foroes)

Thanks in advance for any help!!

vbgamer45

I would find another host asap.
Backup your files/and database.

You can upgrade via smf's package manager each minor update to PHP 2.0.18 just check your PHP version.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

shadav

def get a new host....why would your host remove anything from your site unless it received a DMCA
something fishy there

and why should they care or not if something on your site is outdated?
though yes you should move to 2.0.18, but that is none of your hosts business unless your site has been hacked several times.

and where they pulled those dollar amounts out of is ridiculous....

yes you can directly upgrade to 2.0.18, however that means that any customization to your forum would be lost (all mods, and anything done to the theme)
or you can go the route of the patches, one by one

please move to a new host because that all sounds fishy....

Voodoo Chile

Thanks a lot!!! I'm going to try with a friend who knows about how to move from one version to another

The host I have since December 2019... yes... HostGator, in addition to this problem I have all days this image and so the many regulars and lurkers I have at my two message boards

HostGator is, by far, the worst I have had, well, is the only bad one, others like Site5 and Albec were ok all of the time

Ninja ZX-10RR

HostGator is garbage, that's one of the classic error screens that randomly pop up on their servers, had it many times while working on sites hosted on those. Definitely one to avoid, along with GoDaddy (which is awesome as domain registrar, though!).
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: