Truncation of posts

Started by sbartelski, March 29, 2021, 01:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbartelski

I was having this issue on 2.0.15, saw a lot of messages in the error log so finally was able to update to 2.0.18. I did some testing and the truncation issue seemed to have gone away. However, I started getting messages that members were still getting some posts truncated. I checked in the error log for a particular occurrence, where they sent me a link to the post, and there is no error message around the time that the truncated text was posted. I also checked Post Length setting, it was 10000, well over the truncation point in the problem posts. But for safety's sake it did change the setting to '0', for no restriction on length. The truncation seems to be happening at different character counts, in the three specific examples that I have investigated.  in two cases, text only, it occurred at 928 and 985 characters, including spaces.  I have a test post in our admin/moderator only forum and when I was posting there  I also experienced truncation a couple of times. But as I was testing different things, including Quoting, I noticed that the truncation seems to have stopped and I was able to post longer texts.

As there is not obvious issue showing up in the error log, can someone please help with some suggestions for further troubleshooting, or even a solution. I have tried searching the forum  for
'truncation' but nothing seems similar.

Thnaks in advance
Stefan
Stefan Bartelski
Webmaster for the Cadillac LaSalle Discussion forums

efk

Are they using English letters or non-English letters? Maybe it has nothing to do with post length. Can they take a screenshot?
What mods do you have installed?

sbartelski

Quote from: efk on March 29, 2021, 01:54:52 PM
Are they using English letters or non-English letters? Maybe it has nothing to do with post length. Can they take a screenshot?
What mods do you have installed?

Pretty certain English letters only. I can try to reproduce and take a scxreen shot and then post here.

Modlist  attached
Stefan Bartelski

sbartelski

EFK, you might be right about some strange character in the text. So how could I find out what the actual base text box contains? I am attaching screen shots. #1 is of the message  that was originally posted. Noted that it was edited and text added after where the original truncation occurred. But it looks as if the 'hidden' problem character (or characters) might still be there because when I copy the the text and paste into a new post the last line is truncated from the new post (screen shot #2). Also if I add text after the pasted text, it does not appear. However, if I recopy thye problem text and post that into a new post, there is no problem. However, note that things like carriage return of line feed are omitted in that pasted text (see line starting Your question  (#2 Rotate....). So I expect whatever character that causes the truncation is somehow not be copied in the second copy & paste.

Hope that this info helps someone point me in the right direction to resolve this issue, thanks in advance for any help that is given
Stefan Bartelski

efk

I guess its not related with mods. Weird things can happen if your forum is not utf-8 and if someone uses cyrillic characters for example, but I don't know enough about it to tell you how to fix if that is your problem. All I know is in forum maintenance is an option to run task "Convert the database and data to UTF-8", but do you need to do it or is your forum already utf-8, that is not my field.
Ask people from your forum to get you a screenshot so someone can help you.

Steve

Have you in fact converted to UTF-8? And if not, you should do so as efk indicated.
DO NOT pm me for support!

sbartelski

Thanks all for the replies, I will check into the UTF-8 status and try to convert if not there already
Stefan Bartelski

sbartelski

Thanks to everyone who helped on this. I finally got around to the UTF-8 update and it seems that the issue has been resolved. This only happened last Monday (April5) so it is still eraly but I was getting frequent complaints about truncation and they seem to have dried up.

I can now concentrate on other stranbge things in the rror logs but they will seperarte threads

Thanks again everyone
Stefan Bartelski

Advertisement: