News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Upgrading 2.0.18 -> 2.1 stuck...

Started by dan4ever, March 14, 2021, 02:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: dan4ever on April 13, 2021, 10:45:38 AM
Before I tryed to upgrade I tryed to back up my database from SMF but it "timed out" al the time,  didn't work.
I did do the bakup from the installer (Thank God...).    This is also an issue...
This, in short, is a collection of known limitations in what you can do through PHP. The built in backup functionality is an attempt to offer an option, and generally works ok for small forums (depending on the exact server configuration, mind you) - but it will inevitably break when the forum grows. It is always better to invest some time in researching what proper backup methods you have available elsewhere.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

Quote from: dan4ever on April 13, 2021, 10:45:38 AM
Before I tryed to upgrade I tryed to back up my database from SMF but it "timed out" al the time,  didn't work.
I did do the bakup from the installer (Thank God...).    This is also an issue...

I have HostGator for 4-5 year now and with NO problem or downtime.     Just saying...

/Dan
you should do a backup from within your hosting account this way you get a full backup of your entire site (not just the database but the files and any email and ftp settings)
but from my understanding your host doesn't offer backups which makes it a crappy host because even free hosts offer backups

shawnb61

Hostgator does backups, though there are limitations...  Up to 10GB, they do weekly full backups & nightly incrementals.  10-20GB, they only do the weeklies, not the incrementals.  Beyond 20GB, you need to work with them for some other strategy, typically involving a more expensive package.

Up until a few years ago, I was actually a big fan of HG.  We had *ZERO* unplanned downtime or performance degradations observed for years.  The few times I called support, they were outstanding. 

Lately, though, operations & support are spotty at best...  E.g., since ~January, our site has been getting 503 errors - bad gateway.  Sometimes up to 300 a day...  Site inaccessible, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for 45 minutes. We've opened multiple tickets, and received nothing but delay tactics, blame, denial, etc. 

They tried blaming SMF - even though the 503s would happen trying to access cPanel or their billing portal...   :o

I think they are making massive infrastructure changes, standardizing things in their backend, etc.  And their Ops guys, I'm sure, have instructed everyone the changes will be "transparent to the users".  I've heard that from Ops guys many times before, and it's almost never true... ::)

This week, for the first time ever, cPanel for my two accounts (one very old) are identical...  And unexpectedly new...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sir Osis of Liver

The HG account does not have a backup utility, phpmyadmin could not dump the database.  It's not that large, but has a lot of tables (396 tables / 596mb).  Was able to dump 202 current smf_ tables (lot of mod tables) imported to clean install on my host, running fine here.  Production forum with clean files is still offline here.  Clean test install is running in HG account here connected to same prod database.  Haven't repaired settings so links all go to prod forum and wsod.  Prod install has come back up briefly over past several days while I've been working with this account, then crashes again.  It's erratic, and I've seen this before on HG forums.  Solution has been to move to better host, which I've recommended several times.

I've been able to reverse changes made by 2.1 upgrade to 13,000 attachments and 500 avatars, database appears to be undamaged, just can't get the damn thing to run on HG.  This is a host issue.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hosts to avoid (Every host in this list is actually bought out by the same company, EIG, with a well known bad track record of ruining hosts they acquire. )

Presented by ResearchAsAHobby.com
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Interesting list.  Hostcentric was my first host back in the 90's (originally Virtualscape -> Vscape -> Hostcentric).  Bigger they got, the worse they got, until 2016 when they dropped off a cliff.  After 25 years had to move to better host, found Crocweb.   IIRC, Network Solutions was the original domain registrar when there was only one.  In later years they couldn't even do that right, had to move my domains elsewhere.  Sad how many service providers EIG has ruined.

- R. Waters

dan4ever

A list of god one now!
A have a forum, store and wiki.   

/Dan
/Dan Olsson, Webmaster at https://www.guldforum.se

Sir Osis of Liver

You're currently using 21.26gb, looks like the forum, store, and wiki are all in the same account.  Would be no problem to move everything to my host (Crocweb).  50gb account would cost you $150 for 3 years.  Support would do the migration for you, they're excellent.  Have a look here.  Forum is running fine in my CW account.

- R. Waters

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 13, 2021, 04:42:34 PM
You're currently using 21.26gb, looks like the forum, store, and wiki are all in the same account.  Would be no problem to move everything to my host (Crocweb).  50gb account would cost you $150 for 3 years.  Support would do the migration for you, they're excellent.  Have a look here.  Forum is running fine in my CW account.
That's a pretty good price in fact :O

However, GoDaddy is awesome as domain registrar. Just avoid their hosting servers ;D

Not to get sidetracked too much... Any news?
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm copying /attachments, /attachments2, /custom_avatar from prod install to clean install connected to prod database in /forumtest, then will flip directories and make it /forum.  Tried this already, ran for a while then crashed.  Just about done, will give it a go.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok Dan, I have clean install running at http://www.guldforum.se/forum/index.php, Mutant Curve theme, attachments and avatars are fixed.  None of your mods are installed.  Don't change anything, let's see if it'll run for a while without crashing.  You can check everything, see if anything's broken or missing.

- R. Waters

dan4ever

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 13, 2021, 04:42:34 PM

That sounds like a symfoni.

/Dan
/Dan Olsson, Webmaster at https://www.guldforum.se

Advertisement: