Migration to new server DB connection problem

Started by mbartmon, April 17, 2021, 10:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: mbartmon on April 18, 2021, 06:34:59 PM
I did a separate, new install of SMF in another directory and that was successful.  Different database with the same credentials.

Drop tables, import production database, see if it works.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mbartmon

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 18, 2021, 09:38:19 PM
Quote from: mbartmon on April 18, 2021, 06:34:59 PM
I did a separate, new install of SMF in another directory and that was successful.  Different database with the same credentials.

Drop tables, import production database, see if it works.

Doing that now.

mbartmon

The new install is now working with basic functionality.  All of the members, boards, topics, posts are present.

But I do have a problem with installing some mod Packages.  After clicking on the continue button the browser returns a 500 error.  After looking at the error log and the temp folder in the Packages folder it seems as though sub folders from the archive are not being populated in the temp folder. The temp folder has the correct permissions.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you've imported the production database into clean install and it's running, you shouldn't be getting 500 errors.  Permissions for dirs/files should be 755/644, if it's a permissions problem package manager would be telling you that, shouldn't get a server error.  You may have a bad mod install.  Start over with clean files.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mbartmon

I discovered that the web root directory (public_html in my case) needs write permissions as well. That stopped the 500 errors.

shawnb61

That was probably the root cause error all slong.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: