News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Character set issues after move to new host?

Started by BassWrangler, April 25, 2021, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassWrangler

I recently migrated a SMF site from one host to another. Now that the site is on the new host, users are reporting strange characters appearing in the site. I am thinking maybe it's a character set issue, but I am not sure what to do to resolve it.

I'm attaching a screen shot showing an example of one such issue.

On both old host and new host the character set for all the tables is UTF-8. However, when I check the Language setting for the site, I see that it's using ISO-8859-1. I know that this site has some hand edits to HTML, so I would be concerned that downloading the new language pack might break that. Is that possible?

BassWrangler

I think the issue was caused by the way I backed up and restored the DB, not by any site or DB settings.

Ninja ZX-10RR

This page has all you need to know plus a reference to a topic that treated this subject deeply: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/UTF-8_Readme :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

BassWrangler

Ninja ZX-10RR

Let us know if you need further help, otherwise you may mark the topic as solved by pressing the dedicated button at the bottom left :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: