News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Export the smf user database, and import a new smf.

Started by Panoulis64, May 05, 2021, 09:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panoulis64

After several problems I had, I decided to set up a new smf base and put everything from scratch, step by step.
My only problem is the transfer of registered members.
is there a way to export smf user database and import it into new smf?

Thanks and I apologize for my English

lather

If your forum is on a server with cPanel and you have admin access to it there is a backup utility in the FILES section that will let you download a backup of your [yourdomain]_Forum MySQL database and later restore it.  I use this to back up my forum on a regular basis.

Panoulis64

Thanks for your answer.
Yes I am in cPanel and I have access.
I do it with admin server.
we just want the members to move the forum tables as well.
we want the rest to be a clean base and re-put the packages and translations.

lather

Quote from: Panoulis64 on May 05, 2021, 10:36:19 AM
Thanks for your answer.
Yes I am in cPanel and I have access.
I do it with admin server.
we just want the members to move the forum tables as well.
we want the rest to be a clean base and re-put the packages and translations.
That is what I did when my host migrated my site to a new server a few years ago and it would not work.  I backed up my database, deketed the site, did a full install and restored the backup. It worked well but I had to re-install all mods.

shadav

Quote from: Panoulis64 on May 05, 2021, 09:40:51 AM
After several problems I had, I decided to set up a new smf base and put everything from scratch, step by step.
My only problem is the transfer of registered members.
is there a way to export smf user database and import it into new smf?

Thanks and I apologize for my English
if you don't care that you will lose any and all posts, avatars, attachments, all of your categories and boards

then just copy the members table from your old database to your new database

in your phpmyadmin
in your old database export the members table
in your new database delete the members table and import the members table from your old database
note this will remove any members from the new database, and it will reset every member from the old database (including the admin, so remember what your username and password were from the old database)

Sir Osis of Liver

Hmm, never tried this but it's usually a really bad idea to move just one table.  Among other things you'll lose membergroups, bans, permissions.  Why can't you import the entire database?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Panoulis64

The reason is that packages conflict, there are elements from old packages that I do not use and I think that maybe they create problems.
For this reason, we want it to be clean, only the members, without the texts and the other material, that we will put after, after trying the new forum, if we have package conflicts.
Is there any other idea ???

Sir Osis of Liver

Most (not all) mod problems are caused by broken or conflicting code in forum files, if you replace the files with a clean set bad code is removed.  Some mods will create tables in the database, those are ignored when the mods are removed, you can delete them.  Some will add settings to _settings table, they can occasionally cause problems. I'm currently cleaning up a forum where mod settings are logging a lot of errors.  If files are clean and you're still getting errors, search the database (phpmyadmin) for the logged strings and remove them.  Just make sure you have a good backup of the db before tinkering with it.

Bear in mind 2.1 is still in RC, it's a wip, as are any packages that are currently available.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

copying just one table will fail.  it just won't work.

The tables in SMF are inter-related and you need multiple tables for users, messages and other things -- there is not just ONE table you can copy for anything.

As Sir Osis has said: Just replace the forum files (and use repair_settings.php to remove any hooks)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Panoulis64

I just saw that I put the theme in SMF 2.1.x Support and I have SMF 2.0.18.
Sorry and thank you for your answers.

Advertisement: