Incorrect counting of posts

Started by jsx, May 12, 2021, 03:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsx

Hi,

I noticed that on my forum post counting does not work properly. There is information in the user's profile that he has 1 post, but after entering Show Posts, 3 posts are displayed there. In Forum Maintenance I launched Recount all forum totals and statistics but unfortunately it did not help. How to fix it?

Some time ago Spuds had the Admin Toolbox for SMF available on his github, I remember I was able to fix the post count a few years ago with this tool. Currently this tool is available for Elkarte, can it be used for SMF?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Have you checked the boards that the posts are in are boards that are actually counted? For example, here Chit Chat does not count towards post count.
Also, have you tried emptying your file cache to make sure it's not just a cached value that is stuck for some reason?

Edit: Fix language, english difficult.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

jsx

So this user has 1 post in the user's profile because the other two posts are in a board that has no post counting enabled.

However, I checked my account. After entering my profile the counter shows 99 posts, but after entering Show Posts I actually have 107 posts. And all these posts are posted in boards that have post counting enabled.

Yes, I cleared the Cache file and it didn't help.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Do you have a recycling board? Show posts will show the admin any posts that are held in there, but any posts in there will not be counted.
You can also edit the post count manually as admin, or if you have made larger changes in the forums that have left incorrect values there's a mod you can do a recount with Recount Member Posts
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

jsx

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 13, 2021, 07:26:21 AM
Do you have a recycling board? Show posts will show the admin any posts that are held in there, but any posts in there will not be counted.

Yes, I have a recycle bin board. In the settings of this board this feature is checked: Count Posts so I thought it works for the recycle bin. I counted my posts in the recycle bin board and everything is correct. Thank you for help.

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 13, 2021, 07:26:21 AM
You can also edit the post count manually as admin, or if you have made larger changes in the forums that have left incorrect values there's a mod you can do a recount with Recount Member Posts

It's good to know that such a mod exists.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Alright, good to hear that everything matches up then :) You are welcome.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

jsx

But out of curiosity, I turned on the recounting of posts with this modification: Recount Member Posts and the recalculation stopped at 55%, but now in the profile it shows 106 posts. And I have 107 posts in Show Posts, 8 of which are in the recycle bin board. This is weird. How do explain that?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I have to say, I've used that mod myself with no problems in the past - but I don't really remember what it does exactly to count the posts.
So I don't have an exact answer to give you. It shouldn't just stop midway though, did you encounter any errors while at it?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

jsx

It counts down 3,2,1 and that task shuts down. The progress bar does not 100%.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That is interesting. It could however be that it did reach 100% faster than it showed you, and you still have 1 post in a board that isn't counted, and this mod counts the recycle board (which practically is a fault in the mod if so).
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

jsx

Advertisement: