News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Uploaded Avatars Not Showing

Started by jeepwrangler2k, May 14, 2021, 04:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepwrangler2k

Uploaded avatars are not showing up for guests (and only guests not members) in 2.0.18 and I've tried everything in the admin avatars configuration section with no luck.  They simple show up as broken images or as that little page icon.

any ideas?

Steve

I've split this topic off from the one you posted in as it was a solved topic from 4 years ago.

A couple of questions:

Did you read that whole topic and none of it was helpful?

And, would you mind if we shortened your display name as it's running into the title and time of the post? Possibly to jeepwrangler2k?
DO NOT pm me for support!

jeepwrangler2k

Quote from: Steve on May 14, 2021, 06:31:19 PM
I've split this topic off from the one you posted in as it was a solved topic from 4 years ago.

A couple of questions:

Did you read that whole topic and none of it was helpful?

And, would you mind if we shortened your display name as it's running into the title and time of the post? Possibly to jeepwrangler2k?

Yes I read the whole topic.  Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

jeepwrangler2k

Oh sorry..  https ://undergroundmusiccompanion.com but I think this forum will xxx out my post.

Sir Osis of Liver

Guests can't view anything except portal blocks.  Where are you not seeing avatars?

- R. Waters

jeepwrangler2k

In my theme called Redsy they normally show up along the top of the forum under the Online area just above the login prompt.

Sir Osis of Liver

That's odd.  If you look at this link you'll see avatar -

https://www.thekrashsite.com/smf20/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1;type=avatar

You're a guest on my test forum and can see it.  But on your forum it goes to login -

https://undergroundmusiccompanion.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=7;type=avatar

Guests cannot view avatars.  There's no permission for that, unless it's something in the portal.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Same thing in Curve, it's not a theme problem.  Don't see anything in TP that can cause that (you should upgrade to current version).  Is mod_security enabled on your server?

- R. Waters

jeepwrangler2k

the TP version I'm using is the only one that worked for 2.0.18.   I don't know if mod_security is enabled on the server. How do I find that?

Sir Osis of Liver

If it's in cpanel -> security you can disable it, otherwise you'd have to ask host support.  IIRC you should have it in HG cpanel, but don't really think that's the problem.  Just something to eliminate.

I just installed TP 2.0.1 on 2.0.18 forum, should work fine on yours.  You have to uninstall existing version first, all content will be retained if you don't check 'Remove all data associated with this modification'.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

I've registered as Krash and can see avatars when logged in.  Going offline, if you can't fix it make me admin and I'll have a look tomorrow.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It's pretty simple really. Your forum doesn't allow guest browsing, so the forum isn't showing anything to guests even though the portal is.
You can move avatars to a separate folder and not treat them as attachments - this would fix the problem, or you can allow guest browsing on the forum and limit access with permissions instead.
( For moving the avatars out of attachments, see step 1 in https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=293441.0 )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Of course, that's the one thing I didn't try.  Replicates the glitch in TP on test install.

- R. Waters

@rjen

I think Lex already identified the issue: the avatars being attachments blocks them in the recent topics. The block uses the SMF ssi function. In fact the block should better respect the overall SMF setting allow_guestaccess .

We will pick that up in TP2.1.0
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

jeepwrangler2k

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 15, 2021, 02:23:54 AM
It's pretty simple really. Your forum doesn't allow guest browsing, so the forum isn't showing anything to guests even though the portal is.
You can move avatars to a separate folder and not treat them as attachments - this would fix the problem, or you can allow guest browsing on the forum and limit access with permissions instead.
( For moving the avatars out of attachments, see step 1 in https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=293441.0 )

Thank you. I made a folder on my root called avs or /home4/underion/avs.  Then under admin forum avatar settings I changed Upload avatars to - from attachment directory to specific directory and then typed avs into the upload directory but I get an error message saying that the custom avatar directory must be empty or invalid and it's definitely empty. Also tried the full path on my server of /home4/underion/avs instead of just avs but still not working and same error msg.

What did I do wrong or not do correctly yet?

Sir Osis of Liver

You have to use full server path for upload directory -

/home/thekrash/public_html/smf20/avs

And full path for upload url -

httpx://www.thekrashsite.com/smf20/avs

Copy it from Server-stored avatars (up top) and just change directory name.

- R. Waters

jeepwrangler2k

Yes I just figured out what I was doing wrong - forgot to fill in the Upload URL as https://undergroundmusiccompanion.com/avs and now it seems to work without the error msg.

But sadly guests still can't see avatars. Does this mean I have to let them see the forum with restrictions as the only way they'll see them then?

jeepwrangler2k

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 15, 2021, 01:30:09 AM
I've registered as Krash and can see avatars when logged in.  Going offline, if you can't fix it make me admin and I'll have a look tomorrow.

OK I'm doing that now.  you are now an admin to the site.

Sir Osis of Liver

Almost right, fixed upload directory.  Should work now.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: