News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

upgrade 1.1.x to 2.0.18 error

Started by kibbelveen, May 20, 2021, 02:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kibbelveen

I didn't dare to upgrade earlier to 2.0.x, but now after all these years i had the courage.. All went fine, until step 4. This is the message I got to see:

"Executing database changes
Please be patient - this may take some time on large forums. The time elapsed increments from the server to show progress is being made!
Executing: "Changing column names." (1 of 43)

!!Error!
Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again"

I tried the repair settings, but that didn't help. What to do?

I'm not an very experienced in this, otherwise I would have updated earlier...

Sir Osis of Liver

Which 1.1 version?  Which php version is server running?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

and don't worry too much....      when I upgraded a LARGE forum (2+ million messages) it literally took 2 days to finish the upgrade
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kibbelveen

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 20, 2021, 04:16:37 PM
Which 1.1 version?  Which php version is server running?

I'm even not sure about that. But the map packages consists SMF_patch_1.1.21_2.0.10.zip, so I think I had version 1.1.21

kibbelveen

Quote from: Kindred on May 20, 2021, 04:54:25 PM
and don't worry too much....      when I upgraded a LARGE forum (2+ million messages) it literally took 2 days to finish the upgrade

My forum isnt that big... the back up file is about 6,5 Mb.

And I am a bit worried, because the upgrade ended there. After that message nothing happened aymore.

kibbelveen

Is it worth to try an update to an older 2.0 version first?

Sir Osis of Liver

You can try that, but probably won't help.  Is the 1.1 install up and running?  Link?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

The "Server has not responded for 30 seconds" messages mean either that (a) it's taking too long, give it a few more minutes, or (b) it crashed in the background.  If it doesn't come back within about 15 minutes, it's almost certainly (b), i.e., it crashed.

The column rename step is sensitive to DB changes that have been made on the forum.  This can be due to folks removing columns or tables they think are unnecessary, or, that's not actually the version that is being upgraded, so the columns don't match up.

To confirm the smf version, I would look at the value of the 'smfVersion' variable in the settings table.  Or look at the top of index.php for the version.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

kibbelveen

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 21, 2021, 12:43:44 PM
You can try that, but probably won't help.  Is the 1.1 install up and running?  Link?

SMF 1.1 is not running anymore. It wasn't running when I did the upgrade. Since a week or so, the forum didn't appear on the screen, just a blank page. I thought I waited too long with an upgrade, so did de upgrade 2.1.18 to fix it. That was a stupid thing to do I'm afraid....

Before the upgrade I exported the database with the control panel from Hosting2go (that's where the site is running) and with FTP I copied all the SMF 1.1 files to my harddisc.

So I can go back to what I had until a week ago (the SMF 1.1. that didn't appear anymore).

Now the forum is in maintenance mode (http://www.voxanforum.com/forum/index.php [nofollow])

kibbelveen

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 21, 2021, 01:01:28 PM

To confirm the smf version, I would look at the value of the 'smfVersion' variable in the settings table.  Or look at the top of index.php for the version.

the old version was indeed 1.1.21. See screen shot

shawnb61

OK.  I suspect this is failing due to the DB being in an unexpected state somehow. 

I can see one of two ways to identify the root problem:

1) Run the upgrader in command line mode.  This is much better at reporting issues than running the upgrader from the browser.  Read the section on "Upgrading Using the Command Line" here: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

2) The "Changing column names" step is early in upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql.  The code lists a bunch of tables, and for each table, it shows you which columns are going to be renamed, with a 'from' & a 'to' value.  Another approach is to confirm each of the 'from' columns exists in the DB by looking at each table in phpmyadmin or similar.  We could possibly help you with this if you can export your DB structure somehow & share it here.  Either screenshots of table layouts for the tables in question, or, maybe a "structure only" export. 

One of the two above should help. 

What versions of php & mysql are you running? 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

kibbelveen

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 21, 2021, 06:37:29 PM
We could possibly help you with this if you can export your DB structure somehow & share it here.  Either screenshots of table layouts for the tables in question, or, maybe a "structure only" export. 

One of the two above should help. 

What versions of php & mysql are you running?

I can certainly use some help with this. I have made a print screen of the structure to share here, it is a pdf. Do I have to run the upgrader now in the command line mode? And share the errors here to? I'm not sure...

shawnb61

That only lists the names of the tables.  We would need to see the actual structure of the tables. 

In phpmyadmin, if you do a custom export but *de-select* exporting the data, that would do it (see pic).  You do not want to share data.  Just the structure.

kibbelveen

Thank you for showing how to make a structure export! (and your patience) I did find the option. I made a sql file and a text file. Which one should I post here?

shawnb61

I think either would work, but I'd prefer the .sql.

You might want to take a quick scan & make sure there is nothing in there you don't want to share, e.g., passwords or data of any kind. 

kibbelveen

This is the .sql structure file.  I can only read the text version myself. In there I didn't see any passwords etc. So I think this one is safe to share.

shawnb61

I can see that it successfully made all the updates thru the smf_board_permissions table, and failed updating the smf_boards table.  Your existing smf_boards table looks fine, though, it looks like it matches a newly installed 1.1 smf_boards table.  So I do not understand why it is failing.

What is your php version?
What is your mysql version?

The next things I would try are:
- Try executing the upgrade with a more recent version of php.  Ideally php7.3 or 7.4.
- If that doesn't work, I would attempt the upgrade via CLI, following the instructions on the link above.

kibbelveen

Thank you for the analysis of my database structure!

My PHP version is 7.4 and mysql is 4.1.9. I can't change the last one I think. The other settings that PHP and Mysql shows are in the pics. Should I choose other options there?

I think the CLI option you suggest is what left now.

shawnb61

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 21, 2021, 06:37:29 PMRead the section on "Upgrading Using the Command Line" here: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Follow the above link for information on running the upgrade via CLI. 

If you are running a linux environment on a host, then you first need to figure out how to get "SSH" access.  That will give you the ability to run the upgrade via the command line. 

CLI will usually give you a clear error to help you diagnose the issue.

kibbelveen

Yeah, I will try that. Thx so far. I have to take some the time for it, but will come back with the results.

Regards

Advertisement: