News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

URLs in posts change randomly!

Started by Gryzor, June 03, 2021, 04:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello!

Every once in a while a weird problem crops up on my 2.0.17 forum. A user may post a URL and, although the link text appears fine, the underlying link changes to something random!

The only thing I can think that has to do with URLs is Pretty URLs, but in the relevant support thread nothing similar was reported so I'm not sure where else to turn...

Any ideas?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Got any examples of such, original url against the changed url?
Sure that no user interaction is involved? Sure that no word sensors are involved?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

Unfortunately, no examples survive because we correct them manually, but if you tell me why you're asking perhaps I could offer more info. "Rogue" links can be both internal and external, same as "intended" ones.

And yes, I'm sure, no censoring and no interaction. It's totally random and a bit rare, too.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'm asking simply to see what exactly happens, and if maybe something could be deducted from the actual behaviour.
Also, are you using wysiwyg or not? More specifically, are the users making those posts using wysiwyg or not?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

Ah I see. Unfortunately, nothing I can deduct, it appears really random. The wysiwyg angle is interesting, I'll keep an eye out for that, but I strongly believe it happens both with the minimal quick reply and the full wysiwyg editor.

Basically if nobody else reports something similar then it's obviously something specific to my forum... Strange as it might be, because the problem appeared in a period of relative calm - no new mods added or whatever...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The wysiwyg editor in 2.0 is sadly less than perfect, so wouldn't be completely out of the question as a suspect.
But, for now - I'd say, wait and see when this next happens, and try to catch what exactly happens.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

Yup, that. For the time being I'm inserting links furiously in test posts and, as you'd expect, the problem doesn't crop up :D

shadav

I asked in the pretty urls thread, but I'll ask here as well

are you sure that the member isn't doing it, as they have to type in the url and title
unless you are using some auto link mod, then you should ask in it's support thread
if you are not using an auto link mod then the user is the one that has to manually type in the url and link title
so how sure are you this isn't a user issue (or on purpose)

Gryzor

Didn't I reply to this in the Pretty URL thread? :D

No link mod installed. I did go in and look in case there was something I had forgotten, but I don't think I've ever even used an 'auto link' mod (going to look for some :) ).

Pretty sure it's not a user issue because:
-nobody would do it on purpose (we're a pretty nice community)
-it'd be difficult to make such an error in succession
-the latest occurrence was with a new member who couldn't understand what was happening, so it's even less likely to be some weirdo user and
-I've seen it with my own eyes; pasting the correct URL and getting something totally random; editing the post to fix it and still being stuck with the random URL.

But I do understand why these are good troubleshooting questions :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If it only happens when copy/pasting, I'd say that's one more reason to suspect the wysiwyg editor is doing something funky.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

Noted. I'll try some more with copying and pasting :)

efk

Disable wysiwyg editor in Post Settings. 

Gryzor

Since this issue happens very irregularly that would be a very drastic measure...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, that depends - I've never once had it enabled in any forum I manage, and once people learn to use BBC they're usually quite OK with that.
I do understand however, that taking away something people are used to - if you have had it enabled for a prolonged period of time - can be a different situation.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

Yes, that; if it wasn't an option, ever, it'd be much easier to deny it, but people do put it in good use :)

Grammy

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 04, 2021, 02:49:29 AM
If it only happens when copy/pasting, I'd say that's one more reason to suspect the wysiwyg editor is doing something funky.

I had some kind of weirdness like this happening a few years back and I had to copy, then paste in a plain text editor, then copy it from there and paste it into a post.  When I did that, it would behave.  If I remember correctly, it did turn out to be the dreaded WYSIWYG editor.   :D

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Grammy on June 04, 2021, 07:25:33 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 04, 2021, 02:49:29 AM

I had some kind of weirdness like this happening a few years back and I had to copy, then paste in a plain text editor, then copy it from there and paste it into a post.  When I did that, it would behave.  If I remember correctly, it did turn out to be the dreaded WYSIWYG editor.   :D
Yeah, that sounds exactly like what I was thinking of. The wysiwyg editor tries to catch and replicate formatting, and that can get tricky. Add to that the fact that the editor used in 2.0 is pretty much outdated, and was replaced completely for 2.1 ... Well, you catch my drift I'm guessing.

Side note: 20K :P Let's party like it's 1969.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Grammy

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 04, 2021, 08:18:24 AM

How sad that I remember 1969.... 

(You know, it's kinda hard not to admire WYSIWYG...  a "hold my beer" feature that refuses to be beaten into submission.)   :D

Gryzor

Oh don't get me started on the pasting/formatting issue, I'm this close from including tips for removing formatting to the welcome email :D

But here we're talking about completely replacing text... and with *valid* text, not random characters!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Grammy on June 04, 2021, 08:25:33 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 04, 2021, 08:18:24 AM
How sad that I remember 1969.... 
Sad? :o I would give out organs to be able to go to Woodstock -69 and (among many others) see Jefferson Airplane do "White Rabbit" live.... alas, I was only born in 1984.
https://youtu.be/Vl89g2SwMh4
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

I was working at a summer camp in Swan Lake NY in 1969, near Bethel.  Could here the music late at night bouncing off the hills.  Had no idea what was happening at the time, didn't get there.  Same summer as Apollo 11 moon landing.  Didn't get there, either. :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sorry for all the off topic everyone, we'll split this if things go further alright :P
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 04, 2021, 01:39:53 PM
I was working at a summer camp in Swan Lake NY in 1969, near Bethel.  Could here the music late at night bouncing off the hills.  Had no idea what was happening at the time, didn't get there.  Same summer as Apollo 11 moon landing.  Didn't get there, either. :P
Seriously, that sounds like a nightmare - being so close, and only learning after that you missed something that was quite truly a once in a lifetime event.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

https://www.distance-cities.com/distance-swan-lake-ny-to-bethel-ny

<sigh>  Didn't really know much about it until long after.  Did get to see Airplane couple years later (71?), outdoor concert in Stony Brook.  Long time ago. :(

[/ot]

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: