News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Fantastico instalation troubles

Started by mokaphyyr, November 23, 2005, 08:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mokaphyyr

okay, long story as short and detailed as i can make it so far (that sounds like an oxymoron)

-installed smf off fantastico on my site well over a year ago, greatest thing since sliced bred. v1.0.4??
-upgraded long time ago to v1.0.5 and everything was just simply AWSOME still ... worked fine.
-my web server gose and upgrades
QuotePhp will be upgraded to version 4.4.1 and Zend Optimizer will be upgraded to 2.5.10a.
-then every thing stops working just before they actualy do the update ... compleate forum missfunctions of many sorts like bad permissions all the way down to som really really uggly stuff.
-they do the upgrade and we continue to get the same problem
-tell us we need to manualy upgrade our forums, we do the 1.1rc1 thing upgrade, and then we get a whole new error
-somehting about how things dont exists and some error 400 for not found when they are there and all.

-recently i went and got the repair settings script you guys have on the downlaods page, and it comes up with a "Queryless URLs" setting not set, well i go set that up on my forums and shrotly after its started to work again, ...  though im gona have to wait and check since on several notes i have had the forums work for an hour or so, then have everything fall apart as soon as i bleave its working right.

hopefully there is someone looking for this lovely info that i have been troublshooting for a while, and i hope it helps and fixes my problem and many others. (gota share the lov'n)

Oh, and at one point i set EVERY thing to chmod 755 ... and i cant find nore remember witch files "only" needed that let alone what i need to set the rest back to, anyone have a clue?

redone

Could you please post a url to your forum and are you getting any error message etc

mokaphyyr

there are two of them that i have ....

http://www.heandshe.org/ffxiforum/ [nofollow]
     witch is for my comunity of Final Fantasy XI players.
http://section8.heandshe.us/Forum/ [nofollow]
     witch is for my friends who i play paintball with in the past, we use it to comunicat since we are all based in diffrent places now.

they currently seam to be working fine, im just waiting till this afternoon or tomarow to say that what i did did not work.

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

JayBachatero

Ok it's not a mod_security problem.  I suggest you download a fresh update version of 1.1 rc1 and over write all the files.  Also i will foward this to a Dev so that they can take a look at it.
Follow me on Twitter

mokaphyyr

ive done that atleast 3 time this past week. butif you dont forsee something that isnt normal, aslong as they are still working tomarow, i just hope everything works fine. on till then ... i have one friend who is at an unusual remote location and hes the only person who hasnt had any troubles getting on the site. ... everyine fromthe US, UK onto Japanese turff, have had the same issues.

though to Note, its currently working as advertised so i dont want to mess with it untill i get the error, then ill post that im getting the error agian.

I apriciate you guys takeing a look and as i have said, this post is mostly to help others who may have the same problem as me and unable to think of the alternative thing (repair_settings.php) file you guys had hidden in your converter and tools setion of downloads.

Oldiesmann

When I checked it out, I saw a familiar issue - on some servers, putting a ; after the PHPSESSID (instead of an &) causes an "Internal Server Error" message. While I'm still not sure exactly what's causing this, there are a couple different ways to fix this:

1. Put this at the top of index.php, right after <?php:

ini_set('session.use_trans_sid', '0');

If that doesn't work:

Sources/Querystring.php

Find
$buffer = preg_replace('/"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '/') . '(?!\?' . preg_quote(SID, '/') . ')(\?)?/', '"' . $scripturl . '?' . SID . ';', $buffer);

Replace
$buffer = preg_replace('/"' . preg_quote($scripturl, '/') . '(?!\?' . preg_quote(SID, '/') . ')(\?)?/', '"' . $scripturl . '?' . SID . '&', $buffer);

That should fix your problems.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

mokaphyyr

sorry for the late reply, was at work (millitary hours suck)

i tried the second one first since it looked like the more complicated was beating everything to the sorce, ... it pritty much  killed everything. forums broke, so i went in and restored the file.... though your code eather way it sits didnt want to work, both with what you had me find and replace, after i replaced it back, it didnt work. i think thats mostly strange, but eather way, i went and tried to do the first suggestion and it seamed to have no current effect, but then agian like always i have to wait many hours to find out if for somer eason its not working. (i havent a clue why)

mokaphyyr

what i have noticed is that when i get to the forums is that i have to refresh the browser atleast once, then i can log into the forums, or it will spit out a 500 error and a 400 error at the same time. But if i refresh the page when i get there, or go back and refresh, it works fine. Dose that not sound odder than dog dung.

mokaphyyr

my friends are now getting the 500 error and the 404 error from the server, i get it aswell but all i have to do is refresh my browser and then im good till my login session runs out. anyways. im not sure whats up with it all, but its still funk.

redone

As we all know a 404 error points to a missing or missing files and if you see the dreaded 500 error then its a server related error. The latter one basically means your attempting to do something that the server does not like for example to create a permission for a file or folder it does not like.

The 500 error could also point to other server issues. I suggest you attempt a clean install in another folder and see if you can replicate the problems.

mokaphyyr

okay, i currently have three operational instalations, ... the forums i want, the one i reinstalled when everything went bad and a brand new one i installed the way i bleave things are soposed to work. ...  ive also found some more information but im unsure if it has too much barring on the whole thing. ... I install the forum off fantastico witch installes version 1.05.  Then i install the 1.1.r1 upgrade so that it can think to work, at that point im sitting where i am with this error. My server error log (something i didnt know how to find till some random tech support dude showed me)

[Mon Nov 28 17:01:48 2005] [error] [client 193.47.80.43] File does not exist: /home/heands2/public_html/404.shtml
[Mon Nov 28 17:01:48 2005] [error] [client 193.47.80.43] script not found or unable to stat: /home/heands2/public_html/forum/viewforum.php
[Mon Nov 28 16:25:40 2005] [error] [client 68.185.220.176] File does not exist: /home/heands2/public_html/section8/404.shtml
[Mon Nov 28 16:25:40 2005] [error] [client 68.185.220.176] File does not exist: /home/heands2/public_html/section8/favicon.ico

Those are the 4 errors im getting, and i am not sure why they are causeing or getting caused and error. Im not sure why it is looking for the favicon.ico file. I dont know why my server is looking for the 404.shtml file when its soposed to redirect tot he one in the base folder er how ever its soposed to work with all that. The other two, only show with this recent instalation since they only apear on the entier log at the top.

I hope i am not causeing you too much trouble, and i will continue to scour for the proper favicon.ico file though the many folders on my server and see if i can copy it to apropriate places.

redone

If you have 1.05 and wish to upgrade to 1.1rc then just follow the upgrade instructions and ignore your Fantastico panel.

To find the 1.1rc upgrade package go here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php

mokaphyyr

okay, after strugling for about 2 hours to get a compleate install of 1.1.r1 to run, ...  i still get the same error .. im sorry i have waited your time and im clueless on what i can do to fix my forums. You mentioned it is server side and server techs says its the code, im not sure where to go. sad thing is, all i have to do is refresh the site on my browser and it workes fine from hence on.

redone

Does this mean you got the installation working?

mokaphyyr

yes and no, it works to a pint but im sure why other poeple havent been logging in is because it hasnt been working ... still getting the 500 error and the 404 error ... for files i cant find where its calling for them from ... then the 404.shtml ... i dont know why its even asking for that file. ... im lost, and confuesed ... im gona let it soack in my brain some more ... and try to figure out why im getting this blastid errors.

mokaphyyr

okay this is what i have done ... i fabracated a 404.shtml file and a favicon.ico file, put them where the server is getting those stupdi errors at, and im going to see if that dose dookie for me ... if the problem goes away, then ill be more befangled but happy.

JayBachatero

I came to check the status of this problem.  Did it go away or you are still testing?
Follow me on Twitter

Oldiesmann

The error relating to "viewtopic.php" is someone looking for phpBB on your server (most likely looking for one that they can hack), so you can safely ignore that. I'm not sure why the code I posted won't work for you as it should fix the problem. Make sure you look for that exact line that I gave you, as there is another similar line in that same file.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: