News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

forgot admin password

Started by Baloch, June 03, 2021, 11:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baloch

Hello there,

I am admin of my smf and lost my password. I tried to reset it from password reminder but it didn't work means couldn't get any email.
Then tried to edit my admin account's password via myphpadmin but now facing two type of issues.

1. getting following message to login my admin account smf
Password security has recently been upgraded. Please enter your password again.
(I have entered new password but it doesn't work at all )

2. main email account which is connected to the smf is restricted in cpenel.

Thanks in advance for your prompt response.
With best regards
Raji Baloch

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can get to phpmyadmin, look in _members table, find your admin account, delete salt and type in new password.  That should get you in.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Baloch

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 04, 2021, 12:15:17 AM
If you can get to phpmyadmin, look in _members table, find your admin account, delete salt and type in new password.  That should get you in.
I did all this process but still getting same error I have mentioned in point one.

Dzonny

You deleted the salt from phpMyAdmin, and wrote new password in passwd field, right?

Can you try to place this string in that field:
449ed97bdef672c3aadc98dcdaa63fe9d357f8f1
This will reset your password to "pass123".

If that still doesn't work I dunno. Can you tell us if you did anything on forum before this started happening? Maybe an upgrade or something? Also are you the only member on forum who can't login or other members has the same problem as well?

Baloch

Quote from: Dzonny on June 04, 2021, 02:28:50 AM
You deleted the salt from phpMyAdmin, and wrote new password in passwd field, right?

Can you try to place this string in that field:
449ed97bdef672c3aadc98dcdaa63fe9d357f8f1
This will reset your password to "pass123".

If that still doesn't work I dunno. Can you tell us if you did anything on forum before this started happening? Maybe an upgrade or something? Also are you the only member on forum who can't login or other members has the same problem as well?

Yes you are right I did so and proceed as per your instructions but still getting same problem, I have mentioned above.

Moved response out of quote for clarity ~ Steve

Dzonny

That's strange, but anyway, can you answer the second part of the question?

Baloch

Quote from: Dzonny on June 04, 2021, 03:02:42 AM
That's strange, but anyway, can you answer the second part of the question?

I have updated SMF before couple of weeks after getting notification in admin panel and used posting on forum in normal manner.
Usually I save my passwords in browser so never tried to check what is my password.
Before two days I did fresh windows installation on my machine and I forgot to save chrome's history and cookies.
Then I tried to login to my account on smf I had confusion about password so clicked on password reminder. But couldnt get its email on my password. Then checked myphpadmin and found its linked with the email account which is restricted so changed it will gmail account, but still not worked then changed password manually but again faced same issue.

Dzonny

As you changed email to gmail account now, if you use forgot password feature are you getting an email?
Also, what is your current SMF version, and from which did you updated?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Register a new user, with a new password, and set that user as activated if needed as well as make them admin through DB.

I accidentally deleted my admin account. Now what do I do?

After this, you can use the new account to manually change your old admin account's password and login it with that.
Remember to delete your "extra" admin account later.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Baloch

Quote from: Dzonny on June 04, 2021, 03:20:39 AM
As you changed email to gmail account now, if you use forgot password feature are you getting an email?
Also, what is your current SMF version, and from which did you updated?

No I am not getting any email from the forgot password feature.  I am using SMF 2.0.18 and it was upgraded from last version it must be 2.0.17

Dzonny

Try what Lex suggested, that should give you admin powers and ability to login for now.

Baloch

Quote from: Dzonny on June 04, 2021, 04:03:07 AM
Try what Lex suggested, that should give you admin powers and ability to login for now.
sure

Baloch

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 04, 2021, 03:30:03 AM
Register a new user, with a new password, and set that user as activated if needed as well as make them admin through DB.

I accidentally deleted my admin account. Now what do I do?

After this, you can use the new account to manually change your old admin account's password and login it with that.
Remember to delete your "extra" admin account later.
Thank you so much. It worked for me. Now my admin account is working with new password.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: