This forum's notifications end up in Gmail's spam folder...

Started by Gryzor, June 04, 2021, 04:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Anyone else experiencing this? No matter how many times I've clicked "THIS IS NOT SPAM, DAMMIT!"; and even adding the sender to my contacts doesn't seem to stop Gmail from filing email notifications as spam...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Gmail is difficult, I have no actual experiences with this as my notifications from SMF go to my Simplemachines -email, but on a general level gmail can be difficult to work with.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Gryzor

...predictably the notification for your reply ended in Spam :D No other indication but the default "Why is this message in spam? It is similar to messages that were identified as spam in the past." and the warning about the email not being encrypted. I'm wondering if it's doing this only for me or for other Gmail users...

Douglas

I would look at SPF and DMARC records, first and foremost (unfortunately, I have to deal with this all the time).

QuoteSPF Record Published   No SPF Record found
SPF Record Deprecated   No SPF records found as TXT. (Record type 99 (SPF) has been deprecated)

Liroy/Core, if ya need an assist, let me know.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Gryzor

Thought about SPF myself, but:

-why won't Gmail accept my assurance that it's not spam :D
-other people would be having the same problem given how prevalent Gmail is, I would think?
-Such an issue would probably trigger the "this email may not be from the person it claims to be" or something like that, not that it was marked as spam in the past...

Shades.

Happens to me as well...very annoying but thats google for ya! :(
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Douglas

Just to clarify my post a bit more: This is part of what I do for not only my day job, but the sports admin side on a few large sites.

I've experienced this very issue with both the HS sports site (password resets) and several school sites (for my day job) with emails ending up in junk. And it's not just gMail, either... more and more email providers are moving forward with tighter anti-spam controls.

You can whitelist all you want, but if the proper SPF/DMARC records are not set, that mail *is* going to end up in the spam/junk folder.

The HS FB site probably does about 10-15 password reset requests a week.

The school sites do approximately 2500 (or more) emails a week.

When I got the DMARC, SPF (and DKIM) records set correctly (last year, in October), I have not had a single complaint of an email not being received... especially with the school sites I work with (I worked with three of my day job's largest schools, FYI).

The issue is definitely what I noted. :)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)

Gryzor

I'll just accept what you say, after all it's not like Google makes sense 100% of the times :D Hope the admins here do something about it...

Good to know I'm not alone, @Shades. ! :D

live627

I complained about this a month ago when a PM  notification got caught.

Gryzor

Ah I did search the forum first but came up empty handed. Hope someone will be motivated to look into it...

Illori

Gryzor

Quote from: Illori on June 07, 2021, 04:55:05 AM
i believe this has been resolved already.

Well, not sure what time frame you're referring to (was it fixed just now? Had it been not-really-resolved some time ago?), but the notification for your reply was the first in ages that didn't end up in my Spam folder :D

Douglas

Quote from: Gryzor on June 07, 2021, 05:17:08 AM
Quote from: Illori on June 07, 2021, 04:55:05 AM
i believe this has been resolved already.

Well, not sure what time frame you're referring to (was it fixed just now? Had it been not-really-resolved some time ago?), but the notification for your reply was the first in ages that didn't end up in my Spam folder :D
I now see an SPF record, so it was addressed between when I first noted what the issue was, and when Illori posted. :)

(As I'm fond of telling my wife: ALWAYS TRUST THE DOUG! (hah!))
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

Gryzor

"I drink and I know things" :D

Yeah seems like it's fixed, second notification in a row that I actually got in my Inbox!

shawnb61

Yes, Douglas, thank you.  Your note above triggered some tweaks to the existing spf configuration.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

LiroyvH

Yup, thanks for the report and pointer to SPF! :) Saves some diagnostic works. :P Turns out when we moved to CloudFlare for some reason it created a legacy SPF-record instead of a TXT-record. The TXT-record was now added to make it compliant. :) I'm not 100% sure if that was the (full) underlying cause, as the headers from Google indicated that it did actually accept the legacy SPF-record. Emails sent directly from a mail client did not end up in spam either, only emails originating from "noreply" ended up in the spambox; and this misconfiguration must've existed for quite some time. :/ But Google works in mysterious ways, so who knows. All that matters is its fixed now, so let's assume this was indeed the problem. :P

Thanks again :) 
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

landyvlad

Maybe gmail refuses to properly filter spam because if it did we'd get no google 'notifications' aka spam?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: