News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

best version to upgrade to from 1.1.21

Started by aswuser, June 05, 2021, 02:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aswuser

I want to update my SMF install from version 1.1.21 (running on php 5.3) to version 2.

Can I upgrade using the current large upgrade directly to 2.0.18? or would it be better to upgrade in steps, to lower version first. If lover version first, which one and where can I get lower version large upgrade package?

shadav

are you using a lot of mods?
I mean to be honest that far behind, most of the current mods you have need updated as well, and some may not even work anymore

I would say just do a clean install of 2.0.18 and then download and reinstall all mods and themes that way everything is up to date and should work with php 7.2
smf 2.0.18 works with php 7.4 but not all mods have been updated to 7.4, most will work with 7.2 or 7.3 though.

backup your site through your control panel (not smf admin)
and you should be able to do the large upgrade package of 2.0.18, this will convert your db over and install clean files
so then after that just download the themes you want to use and install them then the mods you want to use and install them

shawnb61

Yes, under most circumstances you should be able to upgrade directly from 1.1.21 to 2.0.18. 

You lose all your mods & themes when you do a large upgrade like this.

Ideally, you test drive the upgrade in a test environment first.

Backup, backup, backup....   File system & DB...  You need to be able to recover if something goes sideways.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

As already mentioned, it shouldn't be necessary in this case - but if for some reason you do need the old releases, they are all kept at https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?archive
For example, if you want to set up an old version to test with.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Deaks

Quote from: shadav on June 05, 2021, 04:16:21 PM
I would say just do a clean install of 2.0.18 and then download and reinstall all mods and themes that way everything is up to date and should work with php 7.2

what?!? You know if he did a clean install he would lose all his posts etc, hbest to run the Large upgrade as that would make the necesssary changes to the db!
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Since shadav did mention the large upgrade as well, I'm thinking that was just a bit badly worded.
Not a clean install, but a large upgrade straight to 2.0.18.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

Quote from: Deaks on June 06, 2021, 06:31:25 AM
Quote from: shadav on June 05, 2021, 04:16:21 PM

what?!? You know if he did a clean install he would lose all his posts etc, hbest to run the Large upgrade as that would make the necesssary changes to the db!

um it will install clean files....
QuoteLarge upgrade
Upgrading from an earlier branch (SMF 2.0.17 or below)? No problem, this is what you need. This archive will upgrade/reset your forum to a clean install of the latest version and will remove all modifications.

Quote from: shadav on June 05, 2021, 04:16:21 PMand you should be able to do the large upgrade package of 2.0.18, this will convert your db over and install clean files
though I guess I could have worded it better

as opposed to doing updates one by one by one from 1.1.21 all the way to 2.0.18 since most mods that they may be using are out dated as well, so not worth taking the time to do each individual update, when they'd have to go through and update all mods that they may use too.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Also, to get from 1.1 to 2.0 the large upgrade is actually a requirement, so no reason to not go directly to 2.0.18 then.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

aswuser

Thanks for your replies.

No mods installed, thankfully. I inherited this SMF and don't know much about it. It was, like, version 1.0.2 and I managed to update it to 1.1.21 but had trouble before getting it to install any 2.x version at all. It has been moved to a new host now and I am hoping to get it work this time.

Do I run upgrade.php with PHP 5.3 or should I switch to php 7 before running upgrade?

Advertisement: