Marking Unread After Modifying...

Started by Grammy, June 08, 2021, 09:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

Just asking, because if I don't, who will?   :)

2.1RC3, default.  Is there a way to have a topic appear unread again, if someone modifies the last reply? 

Say you're having a "back and forth" and you realize you need to hurriedly add more info to your last reply but, by then, it's been read.  I realize you could just add a new reply and "bump the thread" that way but I was just curious to know if that would be possible...  have a modified last reply cause the thread to be re-marked as unread to those who previously viewed it? 

I'm not really bummed if it can't be done, but how am I ever going to know if I don't just ask?   :D

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think if you edit a post, it will show the "new" label, but won't change it unread for everyone, and I can't think of a simple way to do that either. Not without modifications at least.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Grammy

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 08, 2021, 10:54:11 AM
I think if you edit a post, it will show the "new" label, but won't change it unread for everyone, and I can't think of a simple way to do that either. Not without modifications at least.

Ah....  it's not showing "New" on the test board (Github files).  But, I guess you're right, it would probably take a full-on mod to get a modified "last reply" to appear as Unread for those who had visited that topic.   :-\

Thanks, Lex!   :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Of course, if it's a new topic with no replies, you can just post a new topic all together - and delete the old one?
Or a post no one replied to, the same really - delete the old post, make a new one.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Grammy

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 08, 2021, 11:21:40 AM
Of course, if it's a new topic with no replies, you can just post a new topic all together - and delete the old one?
Or a post no one replied to, the same really - delete the old post, make a new one.

That's true, with new topics.  Well, there's no crime in legitimate thread-bumping, I guess.  One could just say "I've modified my last reply" and make it a hyperlink to that post, I suppose.   :)

Advertisement: