Developing a mod to prevent full quotes of previous message

Started by Karmasterrr, June 15, 2021, 02:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karmasterrr

Hello guys.
Inexperienced forum users frequently click "quote" button instead of "reply" button and this creates avalanche of quotes :)
Is there any smf mod that removes full quote of previous message from posted message ?

Diego Andrés

You could prevent nested quotes in Admin > Forum > Post settings > Remove nested quotes when quoting

Maybe that can ease your pain with that  :D

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Karmasterrr

Yes, "Remove nested quotes when quoting" option helps to turn avalanche into snowball.
But I need more  :P
There is little reason too keep a quote of previous message at all. Mod should remove it server-side.

Kindred

actually, there are sometimes several reason to keep at least one-two layers of quotes...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Karmasterrr

Quotes of older messages are useful and should be kept. Quote of immediately previous message is useless.

GL700Wing

Quote from: Karmaster on June 15, 2021, 04:54:17 PM
Quote of immediately previous message is useless.
In your opinion ...

I manage several forums that often have long, technical messages or messages in which members ask several questions and when other members respond they often include several quote snippets from the previous message to include in their response - creating quote snippets is a technique they've had to learn but it is very beneficial to have responses given in context ...
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: GL700Wing on June 15, 2021, 07:05:51 PM
I manage several forums that often have long, technical messages or messages in which members ask several questions and when other members respond they often include several quote snippets from the previous message to include in their response - creating quote snippets is a technique they've had to learn but it is very beneficial to have responses given in context ...
This. I've recently had a discussion on a mod board and it would have been completely impossible to follow&understand without the beautiful system SMF has.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

shadav

maybe you should take some screenshots for your users to help explain how it works
not being funny here, being serious...I took some screenshots to help explain to my members how to use the report button

I mean the quote button is inline with the message
whereas the reply button is at the top and down at the bottom of the page, so I'm not really sure how one confuses the 2 since they aren't anywhere near each other

or turn on the quick reply box
in admin under configuration go to themes and layouts then go to member options
under the theme in use click on Configure guest and new user options for this theme
find  Use quick reply on topic display
change to
show, on by default

I have mine set to show, off by default but maybe it'll be better for you if you have it set to show, on by default

and then after you save it go back to member options and under the theme in use click on
Change current options for all members using this theme
so that everyone now has this option set

Karmasterrr

Quote from: GL700Wing on June 15, 2021, 07:05:51 PM
Quote of immediately previous message is useless.
In your opinion ...

OMG you guys all get me wrong  >:(
Of cause partial quotes are useful, but not FULL quotes:
Is there any smf mod that removes full quote of previous message from posted message ?

maybe you should take some screenshots for your users to help explain how it works
not being funny here, being serious...I took some screenshots to help explain to my members how to use the report button
Why ? If you can do it with mod and make moderator happy  :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If I understand you right, what you want is the ability to turn quotes smaller than they were originally, and honestly I think that's a horrible approach than could easily turn a small annoyance in to user anger.

Quotes of older messages are useful and should be kept. Quote of immediately previous message is useless.
This is a full quote, linking back to your earlier message.

Quotes of older messages are useful and should be kept.
This is a partial quote, still containing all the info on where to find the original - but the shortened quote kinda changed the meaning, the tone of the quote.

If you only want to make sure multiple quotes are not embedded in each other, that is built in to SMF as is mentioned - And would limit the "avalanche" effect.
But if you actually truly want to shorten the quotes for some reason, it is my honest recommendation to really consider carefully before going there - could end up with confused users instead of annoyed moderators.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

no, I think they only don't want the above (very last post) post to be quoted so like I wouldn't be able to quote you lex but I could quote any other message in this thread

which is where probably turning on the quick reply to show by default would help out a lot in this situation

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ah, if that is the case - Yeah, quick reply would probably help. It is a bit easier for many to first spot the "quote" -button, since the "reply" one is only at the very ends of the displayed topic.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Karmasterrr

Quote from: shadav on June 16, 2021, 09:33:54 AM
no, I think they only don't want the above (very last post) post to be quoted so like I wouldn't be able to quote you lex but I could quote any other message in this thread
yes, we want it, or .. don't want it, whatever  :laugh:

shawnb61

I am not familiar with the quote mods out there.  Most appear to focus on narrowing quoted text to selected text, or to make it easier to quote from separate threads:
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=quote

But my forum does use the "Remove Images from Quotes" mod to decrease the size of quotes substantially.  We share lots of images, & this helps a lot:
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2430
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Karmasterrr

Too bad there is no such mod, I will write it later for SMF 2.1.x
Thanks all for your help  8)

Shades.

I just use the "Reply Button In Every Post" mod - https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3424
It puts a "Reply" button in front of every "Quote" button in every post. 8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Advertisement: