News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Unable to Upgrade to 2.0.18 from 2.0.17

Started by forfun, June 14, 2021, 06:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forfun

I've never had the problem to do the upgrading for many years, but this time.
I've tried all the suggested methods, including upload all the extracted files/folders to a folder "smf_2-0-18_upgrade" inside the folder "packages", but it is no different.
Below is the error message that I've gotten.
Please help.
Thanks

An Error Has Occurred!
Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

shadav

I'm confused....where did you see that suggestion at?

download the file from: https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/
upload the file, as is, do not unzip it, to your packages folder

then in your admin install it like you would any other mod

forfun

That's exactly what I did!
I get the error message, after using the "download" packages feature.  No matter, a large or full upgrade file. Unzip of course.
I also extracted the zip/taz file and uploaded to a fole name, "smf_2-0-18_upgrade" inside "/forum/packages" folder, but the program didnot recognize the new version.

shadav

you don't want the large or full upgrade packages, unless you are wanting to overwrite all of your files and lose all modifications
you want the package manager updates package, that I linked to
download the one for SMF 2.0.17 to SMF 2.0.18 (smf_patch_2.0.18.tar.gz)
DO NOT UNZIP IT
upload it via ftp to your packages folder
then in your admin under main go to package manager
find the package in your package manager and install it like you would any other mod
you may get errors when installing depending on what all mods you have installed, you'll need to fix those errors to continue (just like any mod)
if you need help with that then feel free to post what the error is that you are getting

if you are wanting to use the large upgrade package (smf_2-0-18_upgrade.zip), you can not install it via package manager, you have to unzip it and then upload those files via ftp, this will overwrite your existing files and you will lose any and all modifications.

forfun

Thanks so much for the help.
It works.
Awesome!

Advertisement: