News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Language Files out of date

Started by aswuser, June 28, 2021, 09:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aswuser

I recently upgraded SMF from 1.1.21 to 2.0.18. Issue I am having is some text/characters are not displaying correctly.

I looked in my SMF Version Check and see that my language files appear out of date.
e.g "your version 1.1.12 current version: 2.0.18."

What is the best way to fix this? I was thinking that I could FTP but where do I get the latest files? If FTP the way to do it?

Also, I have a bunch of language files I don't need like "Admin.albanian-utf8.php". Can I just remove these? Most of them don't have users using them but a couple of them do.

Also, I have some users using "English" and some using "English UTF-8". Should I have them all using the same? And if so, how do I do that.

Attachments show "Version Check" screenshot and "Edit Languages " screenshot.

Thanks for any insight into getting this straightened out. I need the help; don't know much about this at all.

Sir Osis of Liver

Which language packs are installed?  Looks like you're getting that error because you have the old albanian language files from 1.1.21 install.  You can delete them, then reinstall 2.0 albanian language pack if you need it.  If it's not there, you need to install english utf8 language pack, then set it as default.  Is your database utf8?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

aswuser

QuoteIs your database utf8?
Well, that's a good question. Remember not an expert.

I -think- the db overall is utf8_general_ci but individual tables are latin1_swedish_ci (see screen shots). Do I need to change that? If so, how?

I don't think I need to have all those other languages so I can just delete?

Do I install  english utf8 language pack first and then delete other (old) files?

Screenshots show "collation" settings in db.

Sir Osis of Liver

First thing is backup the database if you haven't already.  You can set collation with phpmadmin.  Look in 'Operations', at bottom you'll see 'Collation', select 'utf8_general_ci', check 'Change all tables collations' and 'Change all tables columns collations', then 'Go'. 

The only language files that are being used are for installed languages in Admin -> Languages, they should be 2.0 language packs.  Other language files can be deleted.  If it's not already installed you can install english utf8 and set it as default.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

aswuser

Thank you Sir Osis. I will give this a try and post my results here.

Advertisement: