News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to Install Theme in

Started by elearningbyeql, July 14, 2021, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elearningbyeql

hi everyone i am new here i hope i have chose right place to ask my question.
i want to learn how to install theme? kindly give any tutorial video or article for this ?

shadav

first find a theme in the theme site that works for your version of smf: https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/
download and unzip the theme
upload the file(s) to your Themes folder

then in your smf admin, under configuration go to Themes and Layouts and go to where it says: Install a New Theme
From a directory on the server:
you should see it has some path location already listed there
blabla blabla/Themes/
after where it says /Themes/
put in the folder name of your theme that you uploaded to your themes folder
so if the folder name is for instance (one of my favorites) NightBreeze20
it should end up looking something like
blabla blabla/Themes/NightBreeze20
then click install

to uninstall a theme
in your admin under configuration go to themes and layouts (which is where you are currently) and then go to theme settings
to the right there is a red X and click on that to uninstall a theme, then in your hosting account or via ftp you can now remove the theme files

back under Themes and Layouts
if you want users to be able to use different themes than what you have the forum set to you can checkmark the box for
Allow members to select their own themes.

Overall forum default: you can choose which theme you want your forum to use
Reset everyone to: does what it says, so even if a user chose a different theme you can force them to use a different theme (if you removed that theme or there was an issue or something or you just want everyone to be back to the forum default theme)

also, you can check the Online Manual for most things

Gary

In your admin center go to

Admin > Themes and Layout

at the bottom there will be methods to install a new theme.

Generally, you'd want to browse for and upload a zip file containing the theme.

Quote from: shadav on July 14, 2021, 01:49:20 PM
download and unzip the theme
upload the file(s) to your Themes folder

then in your smf admin, under configuration go to Themes and Layouts and go to where it says: Install a New Theme
From a directory on the server:
you should see it has some path location already listed there
blabla blabla/Themes/
after where it says /Themes/
put in the folder name of your theme that you uploaded to your themes folder
so if the folder name is for instance (one of my favorites) NightBreeze20
it should end up looking something like
blabla blabla/Themes/NightBreeze20
then click install
This is not required. You can upload themes in their Zip files, much like you can with mods. SMF will take care of creating directories, and unzipping them automatically.

If anything, uploading a theme via FTP can over complicate things for novices IMO.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

shadav

I always forget about that upload button there
:laugh: I do tend to do things the hard way  :P

Steve

In deference to Gary as he is Lead Customizer, you really should read this as it will help you understand what everyone is saying:

Quote from: a11 on July 14, 2021, 01:50:50 PM
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installation_-_How_do_I_install_a_theme
DO NOT pm me for support!

elearningbyeql

thank you to all for help..

now i need to know how to know what kind of module are compulsory to stop spam users or other security need?

shadav

Quote from: elearningbyeql on July 16, 2021, 12:43:26 AM

now i need to know how to know what kind of module are compulsory to stop spam users or other security need?
setting the registration to either admin approval or email approval (as most spambots do not use an actual working email address)
and then setting up a handful of verification questions, displaying 3 at a time
I use some of what a10 posted here and here and then use questions specific to my site ie what color is the background of the site, what is our sites name, what color is the footer of the site...ya know basic questions that a person could answer but a bot couldn't

and this is helpful to install so you can have multiple correct answers: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=2984

you can also set the post count under which users must pass verification to make a post to whatever you like, I usually go with 5 or 10
because occasionally there is the real person that signs up an account and then lets a bot loose, so then the bot wouldn't be able to post since they couldn't pass the verification questions

elearningbyeql

Quote from: shadav on July 16, 2021, 12:52:29 AM
Quote from: elearningbyeql on July 16, 2021, 12:43:26 AM

setting the registration to either admin approval or email approval (as most spambots do not use an actual working email address)
and then setting up a handful of verification questions, displaying 3 at a time
I use some of what a10 posted here and here and then use questions specific to my site ie what color is the background of the site, what is our sites name, what color is the footer of the site...ya know basic questions that a person could answer but a bot couldn't

and this is helpful to install so you can have multiple correct answers: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=2984

you can also set the post count under which users must pass verification to make a post to whatever you like, I usually go with 5 or 10
because occasionally there is the real person that signs up an account and then lets a bot loose, so then the bot wouldn't be able to post since they couldn't pass the verification questions

thank you so much for detailed reply

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: