News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Mystery Guest? guests disabled, no permissions

Started by Cheri, July 27, 2021, 11:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheri

I have disabled guests, and removed all permissions for guests, but a "guest" keeps showing up?

Under "Whos online" It lists a guest, their IP and that it is "Viewing the board index of ..."

• Features and Options -> Allow guests to browse the forum - is not checked
  • Permissions - guests have 0 permissions

Shambles

Did you investigate that IP address? It probably checks out as a spider.

Cheri

I tried searching the first couple because I didnt want to actually boot someone that was meant to be there... but only briefly as I didnt really know what I was doing! they are different IP's...

how do you properly investigate IP's?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Guests will show as long as they get to index.php - which is usually always. They can't see anything though if guest browsing is off.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Shambles

Quote from: Cheri on July 27, 2021, 12:34:14 PM
how do you properly investigate IP's?

Well, try clicking it then using one of the IP searcch links that should appear.

Cheri

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   so...........

if they are on the login page, even thought they cant log in.......... they show up as a guest "browsing the index" index= index.php..

I do thank you for your replies!!

Cheri

Shambles,
I did do that.. I just thought you might know things I do not  ;D
It did not tell me they were or were not spiders. I also used whatever came up at the top of a google search.

Again, thanks for your replies!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Exactly, and sometimes you can even see guests doing other things too - if they are following old links somewhere, or just guessing where to go.
It can be a bit confusing, but as long as they can call up index.php (meaning they aren't banned on the server level) they will also show up on the whos online list as doing something.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

yeah basically it will show guests who knock at the door but they can't come in :P but they still tried so they got logged

Cheri

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on July 27, 2021, 01:48:23 PM
Exactly, and sometimes you can even see guests doing other things too - if they are following old links somewhere, or just guessing where to go.
It can be a bit confusing, but as long as they can call up index.php (meaning they aren't banned on the server level) they will also show up on the whos online list as doing something.

But they cant actually get to any of the content by just guessing the url, correct?
When I try myself, with a link to a board, but logged out so I am only a guess.. I just get the login page.. which is exactly how I want it to work. We use this as the members only area for our website.. board members, committees etc. each have boards / member groups so they can collaborate but I dont want the content we post there to be accessible to some guest geeky enough to get around the login =)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Correct. You can freely test this all, open two browsers, log in one and see the whos online, test access to different pages as a guest in the other browser. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Cheri

YOU ROCK! Thank you again!

Now......... when will 2.1  be released?  O:)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You're welcome :) And regarding 2.1, no promises - but it is progressing very nicely.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

efk

Just a note from my experience, user who is using VPN can have multiple IP addresses displayed and these can be shown as guest who is searching on Who's Online list. So 1 user with VPN or don't know which tools can be used ... can be seen as few guests and 1 user, and its all just a single user.

Advertisement: