News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Ignore user

Started by MadMick, July 23, 2021, 06:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMick

Hey guys,

Only realised today that any user can put admins and mods on their ignore list, is there any way to stop this without turning off all ignore?. Seems like a silly option to me that members can ignore moderators and especially the admin  :o.

Would it be difficult to add an option to exempt admin/Global Mods ??, am willing to pay for it :). We have quite a few users that love the ignore function, personally I have never used it, I think its wrong for an admin to do so, and so I really don't want to disable the function, but if it can't be modified I'll have no choice.

I only know enough php coding to edit the odd mod or template, but not anywhere near enough to do something like this.

Thanks in advance for any replies :).
Regards,

Mick.

AHN Moderators - Can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you"

MadMick

Regards,

Mick.

Steve

I just spent several minutes doing a search on your question and the best I can come up with is this:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=567754.0

Hopefully, someone with more coding skills than I will chime in.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Steve

Btw, keep in mind it is the weekend so you may not hear anything until tomorrow.

Illori

Also this board has limited access so those that may know may not have access.

Diego Andrés

For posts and topics that feature doesn't really hide messages, it just turns the content into a spoiler, you click on it and you reveal the content.
I just tested the pm's and the test user did in fact receive the pm from an admin as expected, not sure what permission you need to assign to your moderators exactly.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

MadMick

Quote from: Steve on July 25, 2021, 06:47:23 AM
I just spent several minutes doing a search on your question and the best I can come up with is this:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=567754.0

Hopefully, someone with more coding skills than I will chime in.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply 👍🏻, yes I searched before posting and read that thread along with a few others, still no answers though.
Regards,

Mick.

MadMick

Quote from: Illori on July 25, 2021, 05:17:40 PM
Also this board has limited access so those that may know may not have access.

Oh crap, I didn't realise I had posted in this section, just seen the V2 support heading  :-[, my bad guys, but thanks for the replies  :)
Regards,

Mick.

Steve

No worries. Easily fixed. ;)

MadMick

Regards,

Mick.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: MadMick on July 23, 2021, 06:37:30 AM
Hey guys,

Only realised today that any user can put admins and mods on their ignore list, is there any way to stop this without turning off all ignore?. Seems like a silly option to me that members can ignore moderators and especially the admin  :o.

Would it be difficult to add an option to exempt admin/Global Mods ??, am willing to pay for it :). We have quite a few users that love the ignore function, personally I have never used it, I think its wrong for an admin to do so, and so I really don't want to disable the function, but if it can't be modified I'll have no choice.

I only know enough php coding to edit the odd mod or template, but not anywhere near enough to do something like this.

You can put in a request at the Request forum about this. It should not be hard to code such a mod.

efk

Quote from: Diego Andrés on July 25, 2021, 05:59:11 PM
For posts and topics that feature doesn't really hide messages, it just turns the content into a spoiler, you click on it and you reveal the content.
I just tested the pm's and the test user did in fact receive the pm from an admin as expected, not sure what permission you need to assign to your moderators exactly.

Member administration > Moderate forum members

It is expected to not be blocked personal message sent by administrator.

MadMick

Quote from: Diego Andrés on July 25, 2021, 05:59:11 PM

Sending of PM's is fine, that is not the issue, it's the fact that members can just ignore anything posted by our mods and admins, not much point posting reminders of rules or announcements if people have you on ignore.
Regards,

Mick.

MadMick

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on July 26, 2021, 08:55:38 AM
Quote from: MadMick on July 23, 2021, 06:37:30 AM
Hey guys,

You can put in a request at the Request forum about this. It should not be hard to code such a mod.

Thanks for that Doug, I'll do that 😊
Regards,

Mick.

MadMick

Well, looks like they are not taking feature request at the moment as 2.1 is near completion, so looks like I have to disable the ignore function.

It surprises me that more people are not asking about this as I see no advantage or logical reason why members should be able to ignore moderators and admins. We have an announcement section on our forum where we post about updates to SMF, new features, old features being removed, competitions and raffles and changes or new rules. It makes little sense that members won't see these or posts by staff pulling someone into line.

Perhaps I am just strange? 😬
Regards,

Mick.

landyvlad

Well there's NO DOUBT you are strange but that doesn't mean your point isn't valid :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

MadMick

Quote from: landyvlad on July 28, 2021, 01:52:52 AM
Well there's NO DOUBT you are strange but that doesn't mean your point isn't valid :)

My nickname is no coincidence 😬.
Regards,

Mick.

Advertisement: